Resocializing a Dog That Was Attacked

It can be traumatize your dog when it has been assaulted by another, and it may not trust others. This guide is about resocializing a dog that was attacked.

My 15 month old Doxie was attacked by two big dogs in the park across the road from my apartment. I took him to wee then at the back of the apartment on the sidewalk and that worked well. For the last two months he has become very scared on the sidewalk and will not relax enough to wee or poop particularly if he sees another dog approaching with its owner a far distance away. He shakes and tries to leopard crawl towards the apartment and safety. We are approaching winter and I need to be able to take him outside to relieve himself as quickly as possible so need help asap! Any ideas?

Answers

Do you have a neighbor close by with a dog. You can start to introduce your dog to another dog so they can become friends. You need to teach your Doxie that not all dogs are mean and will attack him.

For the moment you will need to find a place to take the dog where he feels safe. Living in an apartment is difficult because there isn't much place around to walk a dog.

If worse comes to worse, you will need to use pee pads in your home until you can get your dog associated with other dogs again. This will be the only way to take his fear away.

You may need a dog behavior therapist. Your dog was traumatized.

How can I get my dog not to react to other dogs and people when I walk him? When he was around 11 months he was attacked by a Chocolate Lab, which broke a few of his ribs. My dog is red like a fox and looks like one too, without the black legs. He was well socialized with other dogs and people as a puppy.

When the attack occurred he changed for the worst and now he trusts no one except his immediate family and 4 other dogs he grew up with and lived with. I used to take him and the other dogs to dog beaches. Unfortunately, that is where he got attacked! If it was not for me reacting and kneeing the lab in the throat he would have torn him to bits! That is what the vet told me!

By Debra An

Answers

Listen to the dog, he's scared to death to go back. He was attacked and hurt bad. Dogs don't forget. If you have to take dogs, carry him or leave him with someone else.That's all I know to tell you. I'm no expert but I hope it helps.