Dry Tea Leaves as Deodorizer

I used to have a small bought gel-type deodorizer in my car that was "raspberry tea" scent. When it ran out, I washed out the container and kept it. A few weeks later my daughter commented that the car was stinky. I had been cleaning my cupboards and had found a couple of old cans of loose tea leaves. I had tried making the tea and drinking it but it wasn't very tasty any more. So I dumped the leaves (about 1/4 cup or 100 cc) into the deodorizer container and put it in the car. The next day, no smell! It has been there for three months and the car still doesn't smell.

I have also used loose green tea leaves and old unused tea bags in our toilet rooms and laundry room. This technique works well in a small space, but not so well in a larger room.

Many spray or gel deodorizers in Japan advertise "fight odor with green tea extract" I figure, why buy the product when I have the real thing? Black tea works too!

By Cantate from Tokyo, Japan

What a great idea!

Please indicate the quantity of leaves you suggest to use in a room.

Quantity: about 1/4 cup for a small enclosed room (the largest room I tried this in is about 6'x3') or car.

I used the same amount in one container in a larger room (9' by 6') and it didn't work as well. I think it might work if I used two containers on opposite sides of the room. You may have to experiment for the size of your room, air flow, etc.

In the larger room, I sprinkled tea leaves over the tatami floor and left them for about 8 hours, then vacuumed them up.

Thanks for the great idea. I keep a couple of used tea bags handy, as they are great to press on bumps & bruises & BUG BITES .

Other than that they go in the compost pile.

Also keep a couple of damp used tea bags to put on bumps, bruises, minor burns, toothaches, bug stings & bites. Toss the old ones the next time you make tea.

I also put a couple of old teabags in my vacuum bag to keep it from smelling.

Can you use regular old Lipton/orange pekoe tea to deodorize your car? Mine STINKS! :o)

Woman Deodorizing in Her Home
Deodorizing Your Home
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsAugust 29, 2007
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Tea Cup and Saucer on White Background
Crafts Using Tea Cups and Saucers
Crochet top pin cushion, a craft found on Thriftyfun. Submitted by a member.
Making a Tea Cup Pincushion
Chai Tea Latte
Chai Tea Latte Recipes