Growing Buttercup Squash

I grew buttercup squash this year and now I don't know what to do with it. The squash is developing a white skin on the bottom. How do I know when to harvest? Does it need to rest before storage and how do I store it?

Hardiness Zone: 8b

By Judy from Yelm, WA

I cut mine in 1/2 and scoop out the stringy stuff and seeds. Then I turn them over in a pan and put some water in the bottom (about an inch) and bake till the flesh is soft. The turn over and scoop it out. From there you can freeze it and use it in dishes but I think one of the best ways to use it is in soup. Here is a recipe I just love .......in fact I just got done eating a bowl of it. Note, the recipe said you could use one 8 oz. pkg. of cream cheese and that is what I did. I used the lower fat version. This is oh so good!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Butternut-Squash-Soup/Detail.aspx

I grew this squash for the first time this year and it is amazing! She ("Buttercup") has taken over half of my 60' garden, she even grew up on my fence and I have lovely squash growing everywhere! It is so yummy, just like sweet potato! Pick the squash when they are about 2 lbs and a nice dark green; the skin will have a different texture, a little harder. You can definitely tell the difference between the young unripe squash and the ready to pick. Clip the squash off the vine, leaving as long a stem as possible on the squash. Lay them out in a single layer in a cool, dry area to cure for a few weeks, turning them once in a while to ensure good air circulation. Then place them (in a single layer) in a cool cupboard or pantry and they are ready to use and will last several months. Enjoy!

Buttercup Squash
Growing Buttercup Squash
Home and Garden Gardening GrowingSeptember 10, 2010
Buttercup Squash
Preserving Seeds From Buttercup Squash
Pickled Pumpkin
Pickled Squash Recipes
basket of sweet potato squash
Growing Sweet Potato Squash (Delicata Squash)
summer squash
Drying Squash
🎉
🎄