Browsing: Removing Gasoline Smell on Skin

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Gasoline Smell on Skin

Gas can get spilled on your hands when filling your auto or power equipment. It has a very strong odor. This guide is about removing gasoline smell on skin.

Pouring Gasoline from Gas Can
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

December 14, 2007 Flag

How can I get gasoline smell off of skin?

Janis from N.E. Pennsylvania

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try vinegar.

or lemon juice...

i was told you could use dawn dishwasher soap. gasoline has that petroleum in it and dawn is grease remover

Yeah, or just poor hydrochloric acid on your skin to take the gas away! (DO NOT DO, I am being sarcastic).

Vinegar and lemon juice on a burn will mess you up even more and cause more pain. The solution is lots of luke warm to cool water on the skin in the shower and some of that "orange goo" you find in auto shops to take grease off the body, or just regular soap.

Remember, lots of cool water & treat it as you would any other burn.

March 22, 2011 Flag

Can someone please tell me how to rid your hands and skin of gasoline odors?

Tammy

Answers:

Gasoline Odors on Hands

Try rinsing your hands in vinegar. (06/21/2004)

By Cheryl

Gasoline Odors on Hands

Wash your hands with a dab of toothpaste (any kind) and rinse well. The smell should be gone and your hands will be cavity-free! (06/22/2004)

By Becki in IN

Gasoline Odors on Hands

My son works on cars all the time and gets gasoline on his hands. He uses a mechanic's hand cleaner with lanolin, purchased from the auto store and his hands feel soft and smell very good. (06/22/2004)

By Louise

Gasoline Odors on Hands

My grandparents used to run a laundry. People would used Lestoil for their grungy, greasy clothes. Try this. (06/25/2004)

By badwater

Gasoline Odors on Hair

Try putting baking soda in your hair in the places where the gas hit, rub it in really good and brush it out. It will help absorb the odor. Other than that, try just washing it. Sooner or later, it won't smell like gasoline anymore.
(06/17/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Gasoline Odors on Hands

I tried several of the suggestions and found none to work so I tried cold coffee and it worked on the gasoline odor. I got the idea because when you smell different perfumes they give you coffee to smell in between the samples and it clears the smells from your nose. Before I tried the coffee I tried lemon juice, vinegar, baking soda, toothpaste, and soap and water. You're welcome. (03/01/2006)

By Frank

Gasoline Odors on Hands

After trying everything all of you suggested, we used Goo-Gone, it worked the best. Thanks, have a blessed day. (04/01/2006)

By DJ

Gasoline Odors on Hands

Hey, thanks that toothpaste idea works (09/16/2006)

By Jake

Gasoline Odors on Hands

Lava soap removed the gasoline odor from my hands. (11/30/2006)

By Ron

Gasoline Odors on Hands

My husband tried the toothpaste and it just covered the odor. His hands now smell like mint octane gasoline. (12/10/2006)

By Puddin

Gasoline Odors on Hands

Like removes like; gasoline is a polar molecule so you need another polar to get rid of it, one that doesn't smell so badly.

Use rubbing alcohol; if you don't have rubbing alcohol, sacrifice vodka or similar distilled ethanol.

Pour a little alcohol into your hand, add a bunch of scented liquid soap and rub, keep adding soap (it will not lather). After you have scrubbed your hands for a minute or so with this mixture, rinse with warm water, then use soap and water again.

(06/02/2007)

By Tom

Gasoline Odors on Hands

I tried Listerine, and it helped. Not all of the smell is gone, but now is much better.
(07/02/2007)

By Me

Gasoline Odors on Hands

I first used some hydrogen peroxide and put it on a washcloth and went over the skin which had gasoline. After that I put some toothpaste, and then after that I put some rubbing alcohol. Once dry, I put some moisturizer and then left my hands alone for about 20 minutes. The odor is mostly gone now. (07/10/2007)

By Brian

Gasoline Odors on Hands

Believe it or not, I use a stainless steel spoon. Some stores sell little round stainless steel discs to get rid of odor on your hands. My first thought was "yah right".

So I experimented with a stainless steel spoon. It works great! Just rub it all over your hands under running water. Of course there is no problem if you want to use soap at the same time too.

And everyone has stainless steel cutlery. A spoon I thought was the easiest to hold. And is clearly a
multitasker in the kitchen. (07/11/2007)

By Sheraone

Gasoline Odors on Hands

The spoons works. (10/02/2007)

By KELO

Gasoline Odors on Hands

I tried the rubbing alcohol and scented soap method, which worked well, but I had to do it twice and it still left a minor, minor residue. Rubbing aroma therapy oil on my hands finally got rid of the nasty gasoline smell. Thanks everyone for your ideas! (12/11/2007)

By Austinite

Gasoline Odors on Hands

Starbucks coffee took the smell out. (12/14/2007)

By Steve

Gasoline Odors on Hands

I used Dawn and lemon juice. It worked pretty well! (12/26/2007)

By Nicole

Gasoline Odors on Hands

I accidentally spilled gas on my hands when filling up my car, and had to drive home as it evaporated on my hands and my jacket. I washed my hands with several different soaps, and then read up on the oil-based product. I used a vanilla scented bath/massage oil and rubbed it into my hands. After that, I used dollar store anti-bacterial soap and it worked! I didn't even smell the soap! (01/16/2008)

By Libra In Red

Gasoline Odors on Hands

Clorox Wipes work really well. Just rub between your hands for about 30 seconds, then rinse. Wash thoroughly with soap and water. It works great, and you don't smell the gasoline anymore, nor the Clorox! (04/24/2008)

By Bri

Gasoline Odors on Hands

I was helping my dad extract some gas from a faulty gas tank to another gas proof container and spilled some gas on my hands. I washed my hands for a few minutes with soap and water and repeated like three times. There still was some gas residue, so I used some hand sanitizer and the smell is gone. (06/10/2008)

By Jaime

Gasoline Odors on Hands

The directions given by Tom up the thread worked really well for me. Isopropyl rubbing alcohol was very effective. Hooray for science! (12/18/2008)

By Paul

Gasoline Odors on Hands

Try putting table salt on your hands and add water then rub hands together. This, along with a lot of Dawn helps. (03/01/2010)

By popcandave

Gasoline Odors on Hands

Hey, get some woman's deep facial cleanser, such as Clean and Clear, it's an orange liquid that comes in a pump bottle. This is meant for deep pore cleaning, and you only need a dab. And it won't irritate and strip good oils from the skin. Clean the heavy stuff off first with soap and water. (09/19/2010)

By nickster

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsJanuary 19, 2014
Gasoline Can
Removing Gasoline Smell from Shoes
Disposing of Old Gasoline, Red gas can.
Disposing of Old Gasoline
Wooden bookshelf.
Removing Gasoline Smell from Wood Furniture
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 3:12:13 PM on 10.0.2.241 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.