Make Lettuce Last Longer

Are you sick of your pretty head of lettuce turning brown and rotting in just a couple of days? Me too. I made a little discovery last week. I went shopping and after putting away the groceries, there was no room left for the lettuce. I cut out the core, filled the head with water to clean it, and let it drain well. I then shredded some off the bottom for a salad.

I put a couple of really wet paper towels under the cut side and one over the top. The lettuce lived on the counter for 4 days. When I checked on it, it was perfectly fresh. No rot, no brown, just perfectly preserved lettuce. It is still living on the counter after 7 days, green and crispy. I think that keeping it dry except for the moisture underneath is the key.

Go Figure.

Soo from Oroville, CA

Question, did you keep rewetting the paper towels to keep everything moist? I'm intrigued too.

Hmmmm, I always put paper towels in my Romaine lettuce and put it is a zip lock bag. I just prefer the Romaine because if is better for you. I have never kept it on the counter though. But it keeps a long time this way. I do the same with a green pepper....I am alone so many times I don't use the whole pepper and found this method works well for me. I sometimes wad the paper towel up and stick it in the cavity of the pepper.

Many years ago, my aunt taught me to core the lettuce, let water run through it , then wrap it in a kitchen towel, put it in a plastic bag and refrigerate. It can keep for weeks this way.

A variety of lettuce.
Storing Lettuce
Food and Recipes Food Tips VegetablesFebruary 23, 2010
woman wearing nylons
Making Nylons Last Longer
Cleaning and Storing Romaine Hearts
Cleaning and Storing Romaine Hearts
Head of green leaf lettuce.
Washing Lettuce
Lettuce growing in a box.
Growing Lettuce
🎄