Dealing With Panic Attacks

Panic attacks? Has anyone had them? I'm thinking I've been having some lately. Can they be caused by stress? So far, I've been able to calm myself down.

Sandy from WI

Hi Sandy,

I have had bouts with panic attacks for over 10 years and like you, I have learned to fend them off. They are caused by stress. With me, they were usually a delayed reaction, so I never knew when one would hit. A bad one can make you feel like you are having a heart attack or a stroke: your heart pounds, you cannot see straight, you cannot breathe, you cannot think clearly and you may have nausea and sweating. I did see a psychiatrist regarding the problem and they help you sort out what might be triggering the attacks, plus they can prescribe meds if you are having trouble controlling the symptoms. Be assured you are not alone.

It will help to get your breathing back to normal if you're truly getting panic attacks. Try the 4-7-8 method of deep breathing. Breathe in through your nose for a count of 4, then hold the breath for a count of 7, and then slowly breathe out through your mouth for a count of 8, pressing your tongue against the frontal roof of your mouth. This also works well as a de-stresser at any time. Try it around 2-3 times whenever you feel stressed or when having a panic attack. Hope this helps.

Panic attacks can be caused by stress but could also be caused by any new medicine. First I am not a doctor but I do believe in a natural course to dealing with physical problems rather than running to a doctor for another prescription. Here are couple of things you can do for a panic attack.

One back off from what ever it was that caused the axniety and breathe deeply in through the nose and out through the mouth. Kind of like Lamaze breathing this should calm you.

Two a cup of camomille tea will also help to calm you.

Three sit in a chair and do the breathing like before but close your eyes and see yourself somewhere you would love to be. Just giving your self this break should help Good Luck

Debra

They can definitely be caused by stress. You need to take a bit of time for yourself. If they are occuring around a certian time of the day, say the morning then get up a little earlier and change your routine a bit so that your not rushing around so much. If you are going through menopause you can get them as well due to hormonal changes. You might want to talk with your doctor about them as well.

Hi, I've suffered from panic attacks since I was a child (I'm now 52). Panic attacks stem from an anxiety disorder & can be very frightening. I've since gotten on medication (I also have depression & OCD) & the meds have gotten rid of the attacks. Managing them yourself is great; but if u feel they get out of control, do not hesitate to see a therapist/psychologist/psychiatrist or even your M.D. Good luck.

Thanks for the great responses. I truly feel sorry for anyone who has these things. I have been under ALOT of stress--Dad in very poor health, holidays, birthdays, child having some troubles in school, and working on adopting a newborn--doing a home study, cleaning house, trying to figure out all the details about when the baby is born--we have to travel 12 hours, stay in another state for up to two weeks, and have no income during that time, and be away from our son,the babie's birth brother. I am also pre-menopausal.

I think it is stress because, as I type this, I can feel it coming on. I am going to print these responses, so that I know what to do.

Thanks so much!

I want to respond carefully, because I've never had true panic attacks, but I am a classic worrier to the point of tears and great grouchiness; and am learning slowly that this is simply me trying to take contol of my life. That job is God's, not mine. I know that sounds simple, but I believe with all of my heart that many times the physical symptoms we experience have to do with not letting God be God in our lives. I have put God to the test in the past few months--I am 45 years old and have restarted my career as a vocal music teacher, after 19 of being out of teaching. This past week I woke up the day of my HS concert, bawling my eyes out, trying to 'take back' control of the day and the details not yet in place--when my husband prayed with me, asked God to take control again, that I would trust Him to help me work out details, and know what? It happened! Time after time, I have asked God to help me with things that might drive me over the edge, and He has stepped in with those that can help, ideas 'pop' into my head, or He just has granted my heart, soul and mind with peace.

I say all of this to say, Let God have control of those things you can't do anything about, trust Him, and watch Him do amazing things in your life! God Bless You.

Please see your MD if you have not done so already. My panic attacks are related to menopause and are hormonal in nature. I know a young man (around 19 or 20) who has had such debilitating panic attacks that he cannot hold a job. He is trying to get on disability. If your doctor is not helpful or understanding to you, I would suggest you seek the opinions of other MD's. It took 3 tries for me to find a doctor who understands what is happening with my health. Good Luck to you.

I too have been fighting with panic attacks for at least 10 years. Life isn't always what you expect and add work stress, financial stress and just trying to get by is very rough. I sought medical attention. I have been on Xanax for 10 years. It unfortunately addictive so it is hard to get off of but works very well. Panic attacks can be very scary because you never know when they will hit. I can be having a great day and out of nowhere one will hit me. Seek medical attention and hopefully you have an unerstanding doctor that will be able to help you somehow. Deep breathing and sometimes walking away for a few minutes do help but sometimes you just can't do it on your own. Good luck!

Karen from Port Clinton OH

Regardless of what you have been led to believe, acute

anxiety and panic attacks can be cured in easy-to-follow

steps without any medication using a revolutionary new

technique at http://chetday.com/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?panic

This is from a newsletter written by Chet Day hope it helps.

Panic attacks can be due to a vitamin deficiency of the B vitamins especially niacin. Never take a B vitamin by itself. Buy the B- complex vitamins and add extra niacin. Note Niacin can cause a facial flush-sort like a hot flash. Cut back on the niacin or just take the B-complex. Panic attacks are terrible to deal with as it is too hard to get control over yourself. B vitamins are suppose to be made by your body during the digestive process. With all the chemicals and pollutants in the world, there could be a problem here. I take B complex daily in a multivitamin. The B vitamins are vital for the production of energy by the body.

A very simple method is to wrap a wide rubber band around your wrist and give it a good snap when you feel an attack coming on.

What happens is the snap as well as the pain distract the brain long enough to derail oncoming attack.

I wear one through out the day (of couse, be sure it's not too tight) and it works like magic!

Good luck!

I was Dx with GAD (general anxiety disorder) 5 years ago though I have suffered from these attacks for 20 years. This may sound crazy but I've had to cut almost all sugar out of my diet for a year now & the panic attacks have almost come to a stand still. Once in a while I get a really bad craving for sugar & go crazy eating it. The panic attacks come on everytime I over indulge.

Learning to do relaxing breaths will help - The one true panic attack I had, I couldn't breathe - but that was before I learned yoga breathing techniques. I find meditating every afternoon reduces my stress levels. There are also homeopathic stress remedies that are not addictive - like valerian and valerian/b complex mixtures..A long time ago I read a series of books by an Australian woman physician - calles something like "HOPE AND HELP FOR YOUR NERVES"? Anyway, she always advocated "floating" thru panic and not identifying with it and causing further panic...A good, practical book.

Health & Beauty AdviceDecember 12, 2006
A messy baby getting tomato sauce stains on his clothing.
Removing Tomato Sauce Stains on Clothing
Girl looking at a pregnancy test.
Dealing With an Unexpected Pregnancy
Woman Eating Strawberries
Health Benefits of Strawberries
Homemade Condensed Milk
Homemade Condensed Milk Recipes
🎄