My Dog is Constipated

How do you treat a constipated West Highland terrier?

By Ashley from Coleraine, Northern Ireland

If it's been over 24 - 48 hours, call your vet. The vets can either give your dog an enema or give you a solution and supplies to do so yourself. If this doesn't work, further testing may be necessary. Constipation is not something to treat lightly with dogs or cats as they could have a life threatening obstruction from ingesting a non food substance. Please stay on top of this situation and advocate aggressively for your pet.

My mom had Westies, they were always getting constipated. Take your dog to the vet. My mom's dogs constipation was caused by blocked anal glands which had to be expressed every couple of months. This can kill your dog if the blockage isn't removed.

Try adding a tablespoon or so of canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) to his food each day. Make sure he always has water available.

Go to your vet asap.

I found a great remedy at this website. www.dogisconstipated.com, they changed my dogs life and I hope it will yours too.

Your fellow dog lover,

Christina

She needs a colonic irrigation immediately. Take her to your vet NOW.

A colonic irrigation is where they first apply analgesic lubricant to lube up and numb her anus so that it can stretch wider than it does when she normally tries to poo, then lay her on her left side, squirt air up her butt to expand the intestine enough to make room for the large tube.

Then stick a special large tube (actually two tubes in one) up her butt and pump large volumes of fluid (warm water and a lubricant) into her colon, while massaging her belly t' ensure there is no discomfort, to wash her feces out through the large tube.

The smaller tube is for fresh water/lubricant, an' the large one, is the waste tube. the nozzle section has t' be a snug fit even before the balloon t' keep it in place is inflated, so that it does not become clogged with feces. Air is first instilled to inflate the rectum and aid in insertion of the large nozzle. once the nozzle is in place and secured by inflating a balloon, water begins to flow into her colon from the smaller tube attached to the nozzle. This also inflates the intestine, while loosening and softening the feces, and with the aid of normal peristaltic pressure, pushes the waste, gas, and water out through the waste tube. careful control of the flow rate, temperature of the water, and continuous gentle abdominal massage prevent cramping and 'straining'.

The object being to empty the intestine of waste, with no discomfort to the patient. the typical time it takes varies, but once complete, the nozzle is removed and the patient allowed to relax.

January 2, 2011 Flag

My female dog is 9 years old. She's been constipated for three days and her stomach is making a lot of noise. She has not eaten in three days. Her gas is strong. What can I do?

By Sandra from San Mateo

Answers:

My Dog is Constipated

Contact your veterinarian immediately. (11/29/2010)

By FARSTAR

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 28, 2010 Flag

My West Highland terrier has constipation problems? Does anyone have any advice?

By Anna from Dublin

Answers:

My Dog is Constipated

Try giving him those treats that look like smoked sausage in a stick form. There should be a lot of them around at this time of the year. Also, take him on a long walk, that usually loosens things up right quick. Especially in combination. (12/11/2009)

By rydynhood

My Dog is Constipated

A vet told me once to feed a constipated dog canned pumpkin. Just make sure it is 100% pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling. (12/11/2009)

By slr5113

My Dog is Constipated

I don't have a dog, but my cat has that problem. We feed her a vet recommended high fiber diet and once a day I mix a vet prescribed liquid into her food. It is not expensive and works very well. I personally believe pet problems should be solved by vets rather than well meant advice. While we play around with this remedy and that remedy, the pet is suffering. (12/11/2009)

By Lilac

My Dog is Constipated

My first concern would be why is he constipated. If there is any possibility that he may have swallowed something that has become lodged in his intestines I would get him in to the vet as soon as possible. They can x-ray to be sure it isn't a foreign body.

You really can't think in terms of people when it comes to dogs. You may be able to live with constipation for a few days where for your dog that could be fatal. Why take the risk? (12/12/2009)

By Knoodles

My Dog is Constipated

I also use pumpkin. Just start with a tablespoon. It can give them the runs, so easy does it. (12/12/2009)

By chrissym15

My Dog is Constipated

I use mineral oil. My doggies love the taste and it is natural. Just give 1/2 teaspoon to begin. (12/12/2009)

By pmm64015

My Dog is Constipated

We had a lab that had this problem and the vet said to give wet food. So I just wet down the dry for about half an hour before feeding. Also you can put the fiber powder in the food and put stool softeners in the food. All of this was advised by our vet. We had to do this for the last 6 years of his life. (12/13/2009)

By Maggiemae1456

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 11, 2009 Flag

My dog is constipated. What can I do?

Benjamin from Greenfield, MA

Answers:

My Dog is Constipated

A product called "The Missing Link" has worked wonders for both my Bichon and Golden Retriever. It even helps with skin problems and weight maintenance. You can get it at 1800petmeds.com or I have also found it a Petsmart. It is relatively inexpensive and certainly worth a try. (03/24/2008)

By mom2hhh

My Dog is Constipated

I had the same problem with my dog and I fed her canned pumpkin and it worked great. (03/25/2008)

By AndreaR

My Dog is Constipated

I worked at a pet store for a while and when this question came up we were advised by the local vet to add butter/margarine into the dog food. It should help and will also make their coats shiny. Hope this helps you. (03/25/2008)

By Debbie

My Dog is Constipated

We had this problem fairly recently and the vet advised buying a Fleet's enema for humans, put Vaseline on the tip to help ease it in and slowly insert the liquid. Try to keep the dog still for a few minutes. It did work and our dog laid fairly still for it as she seemed to know we were trying to help. It did take two of us, one to give and one to pet and distract the dog. (03/25/2008)

By Beverly

My Dog is Constipated

Is this a chronic problem? Exercise helps my dog a lot. If it is something that has come on suddenly I would check with the vet as it could be a blockage of some kind. (03/25/2008)

By hildalove

My Dog is Constipated

I worked for a veterinarian who prescribed Metamucil. You can put it right in the dog's food. They also love the Metamucil cookies. Make sure your dog has plenty of fresh water to drink. (03/26/2008)

By Barbara

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 24, 2008 Flag

My Dog is Constipated. I have a 8 year old brown Kelpie and he is constipated. Does this come with age? How does one fix the problem? I am very thankful for all your answers.

Toni from Australia

Answers:

My Dog is Constipated

I would ask the vet if age is an issue. One definite problem is that store-brand and low end dog foods contain a lot of corn and wheat, which can actually contribute to constipation if they don't get enough protien and fat/oils. I swear by fish oil for my dog's healthy coat and regular movements! I switched to Diamond Brand dog food (don't know if they carry it there) but read the label, and if it does not have a meat product or by product as one of it's first three ingredients, or if corn is number one, find something else! You may also need to switch to canned, as it is easier to digest and is generally better for hydration and nutrient absorption. Just make it gradual so he doesn't get the runs!

I am also a Shaklee distributor, which provides a gambit of vitamin and herbal supplements. They have no artificial ingredients or fillers, so they have a maximum potency and absorption rate. You may check out my website at www.healthyhomeworld.com and leave me a message if you have any questions, or I can email you more info. (07/12/2006)

By camo_angels

My Dog is Constipated

Talk to your vet! The dog could have a serious problem. (07/14/2006)

By Robin

My Dog is Constipated

When my older dog got constipated, the vet suggested a tablespoon of canned pumpkin (not pie mix) daily until things started happening. I have Pomeranians, so if you've got a larger dog, you may need a bit more. Usually took 2-3 days, and I'd give him a bit for a couple days more, but be careful. If you give too much, things may progress too rapidly, and you may have issues of the opposite sort! (07/14/2006)

By dj_pinkey

My Dog is Constipated

When my dog used to get constipated i would put a tablespoon of caster oil in her food. That would usually do the trick. If this problem continues on please see a vet. As it can be a symptom of something else. GOOD LUCK. (07/14/2006)

By Kim

My Dog is Constipated

We have an 8 year old Westie that weighs about 18 lbs. He was a rescue dog and had bad problems with constipation when we first got him. We discovered that feeding him a dry food only (Beneful) and not wet food (we had been feeding the little foil sealed tubs) helped alot. Lots of fresh clean water and exercise. He had a problem with his anal glands and I think that contributed to the problem as they stayed enlarged and bothered him. The dry food seems to "work" them and they are not much of a problem. We get them expressed every so often but they are really not too much of an issue. We still give him treats from table foods but not complete meals. Its hard not to spoil him cause rescue dogs appreciate what you do for them and especially good food so much. So if you get him checked by the vet and there are no bad issues going on, these suggestions might help. Good Luck! (07/15/2006)

By Darlene

My Dog is Constipated

Stress of any kind, shortage of water, and lack of animal fat can be the culprits. I wouldn't wait too long after trying these ideas. Hopefully you don't have a sand box or kitty litter that he gets into?
(08/04/2006)

By Lynda

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Dog With Constipation
Remedies for a Dog With Constipation
Pets Dogs HealthJanuary 2, 2011
Aggressive Dog
Dog is Aggressive Towards Other Resident Dogs
A happy dog standing up.
Training a Dog to Stop Mounting (Humping) People
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Dog the Bounty Hunter Costume
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 27, 2017 at 4:24:15 AM on 10.0.1.80 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.