Recycled Container Gardening

Category Container
Many types of containers that you would typically recycle can be used for container gardening. This is a guide about recycled container gardening.

Almost anything can be used for growing veggies when you have limited space, or in my case, need the beds raised up a bit off the ground. For potatoes, you can use burlap feed bags, wicker laundry baskets, or anything with good drainage and room to "hill-up" around the growing plants as they get taller. Peas do nicely in an old wash tub. Later, I'll add strings for them to climb.

Bonus Tip: The black plastic mesh w/rocks on top is my way of keeping the chipmunks from devouring everything I plant. When sprouts appear, I remove the mesh and surround the little plants with rocks until they are big enough to fight for themselves :)

"Necessity is the mother of invention", or as I always say, "Mothers are the inventors of necessities."

Nice pictures, very helpful! Also like the idea of peas in a container, I wonder if this would work for pole beans too?

We're moving house in a few months and so my husband wasn't inclined to plant the veg patch this year. So I thought I'd do some on a small scale using pots and found things (LOVE the wicker basket idea, wow!). Your idea about strings for the peas is inspiring and now I think I'll make a peas pot and a teepee pot for the beans.

I've got salad greens in a window box and cherry tomatoes in several hanging baskets-now I'm going to have peas, potatoes (rescued from where they've sprouted in the compost heap), and beans. Thank-you!

Container gardening sounded like a good, thrifty way to feed our family healthy organic produce, except for one thing: landscape timbers to build a raised bed, big flower pots for vegetables, and other containers are expensive! Then, my eye landed on the dozen empty kitty litter containers (Fresh Step--about the size of five-gallon jugs) I'd saved because they just seemed likely to be useful one day. A few holes in the bottom and a can of spray paint (used on the outside only) turned the whole dozen from kitty litter buckets into bright flower pots, with a total expense of less than $2!

I happened to have kitty litter buckets, and they could probably be had readily from your local Freecycle community, but they're definitely not the only containers that would work well. Look at the groceries you bring home. Herbs would grow in a row of margarine tubs, wouldn't they? What about empty plastic coffee containers? What other containers are you throwing away?

All you need for functionality is to be sure the plastics aren't going to leech dangerous chemicals into edible plants (easy to look up online) and a few holes in the bottom of each container for drainage. But again, a bit of paint and whatever other decoration you like will keep you from feeling like you're living in an overgrown garbage pile.

From what I've read, even apartment dwellers with a bit of balcony space can raise enough produce to feed a family of four with careful planning ... really! Google "balcony vegetable gardening" for lots of good how-to information that applies equally well to container gardening in any other space. And, with recycled containers, there's enough money to buy clean dirt to fill the pots ... healthy, organic food for very little investment! Hooray!

My husband brought home 5 gal. plastic buckets from his work that were going to end up in the trash. Besides the obvious uses for buckets, I drilled a couple of holes in the bottom for drainage and planted my tomatoes in them. The tomato cages stand up in them fine. And another benefit I have noticed is that I don't find those tomato horn worms on them anymore......I don't know why, except maybe they don't want to or can't climb up the buckets??? Don't forget to mulch, though, cause they will dry out faster then in the ground.

Container Gardening using recycled containers

If you are tight on space for gardening why not try recycling containers that you got with products. I use Tidy Cats litter buckets and pretty much any kind of container I can recycle.

For going green to save our environment, I'm teaching a class soon on "Container Gardening - Thinking Outside The Box" and needed to come up with some unique ideas for containers for my plants.