House Decorating Advice

I am moving into an almost perfect home in June that my fiancee and I just bought and would like to redo two rooms' walls next to the kitchen plus the master bedroom walls. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions!

The previous owners decorated in reds and creams in what I'd consider a 'French country' theme. The wallpapering is horrid in some rooms (as in not straight), but easily fixed.

The kitchen has a red and off white checked wallpaper with a neutral linoleum tile while the two rooms have a medium dark reddish burgundy carpet. Nothing seperates these three rooms other than the flooring. My problem is with the wallpaper in these two rooms.

This is similar to mine although mine has a much lighter background. What can I replace with to match my carpet? I much prefer paint to wallpaper and these are very small areas (10x10 approx). I think just painting them cream would be too drab.

My second issue is related as the master bedroom has the same carpet and a bright yellow background wallpaper that has pink and red roses which are larger than a serving platter. The bathroom is all cream with the same tile as kitchen. This room is also joined to one of the above rooms, so something coordinating would be preferred. We are a young couple, but we really like this 'older' French country theme, we just need to watch our budget.

Thank you in advance for any help, ideas, or fingers pointed in a direction.

Michelle from FL

How about taupe(beige with a touch of grey)? It would tie all the rooms and tiles together.

If you like an aged look you should try the paint technique of rag rolling. You remove the wallpaper, and wash-wash-wash those walls to make sure they are clean. Then, paint the first coat of paint on. Once dry you apply a second coat of paint mixed with glaze to keep it wet while you work. I rolled the second coat on and then used rags to blot it off, in a few spots I used a third, darker, color to give it depth. I used a stencil brush dipped in the paints to get into the corners. Tape off the ceiling so you don't get any paint on it, or, like I did, I didn't go all the way up to the ceiling and then applied a wallpaper border along the top. To pick your colors, first get some paint swatches that match the carpet and tile that you have. Then, use those to find paint colors that you like. I picked one card of the paint swatches and used three colors off of the one card so that they would blend well. Good luck to you, and take pictures of before and after to share!

I really like color. But I have to say I've come to think of cream as an elegant neutral. when I look at photos of rooms with cream colored walls, I notice how expensive and rich they look. I certainly don't think of it as drab.

I think the color of the walls depends more on what you want to highlight or be the focus of the room. If you want the walls to be the focal point, then go with a bright color. But if you choose another focal point, don't let the color of the walls compete with it.

I like cream with other neutrals too. I like cream with black, bright white, khaki, grey, and red. (smile) It goes with everything. Maybe you want to rethink the color cream.

Have fun. Warm regards,

Home and Garden Home Improvement DecoratingApril 29, 2008
A picture of the Eiffel Tower.
Decorating a Room With a Paris Theme
Fall decoration with pumpkins, gourds, and Indian corn.
Decorating with Pumpkins
Fondant cake.
Decorating Cakes With Fondant
Feng Shui Decorating, Feng Shui Decorating
Feng Shui Decorating