Buy Frozen Spinach To Keep Your Groceries Cold

I stopped at the grocery store on my way home from work and bought a package of pork chops for that night's dinner. I was concerned about keeping them safely cold in my hot car because I had other stops to make before I got home about two hours later.

My solution was to purchase 2 boxes of frozen chopped spinach also. I placed them on top of the meat package and wrapped it tightly in the grocery store bags and put a blanket (which I carry in my car at all times) around that package to further insulate it from the heat. When I got home the spinach was still frozen solid and the meat was still cold.

The added bonus is two packages of frozen chopped spinach in my freezer and someday I'll have them on hand for a dip recipe or soup, etc. Spinach is not an expensive item to purchase, and we all know how many hours it takes to defrost one of those packages.

By Ruth from Louisville, OH

The spinach will work in a jam but try what my parents do:

Leave a small ice chest in the van for this purpose. It doesn't take up much room and when you are not using it for food, you can store other items in it.

ice chest cooler
Keeping Groceries Cold
Consumer Advice Shopping Grocery ShoppingAugust 12, 2008
A paper bag full of groceries
Storing Groceries
Spinach Quiche
Spinach Quiche Recipes
Canning Spinach
Freezing Spinach
Freezing Spinach