Using Your TV as a Computer Monitor

I am hoping all of you computer savvy people can help me out. I have an Acer Aspire 4315-2490 laptop with an LCD screen which is faulty. I was wondering if I can get some sort of cable or wire or something to plug it into my TV and use the TV as a monitor instead of my faulty screen.

I don't use it outside the house and have a router to take internet from my son's DELL desktop which is very near the TV (in the same room). I have cable internet. I don't even use the mouse of the laptop as I have an external mouse plugged into the laptop since its more or less always in the same place.

I don't have cable on this particular TV, its only used for my son's Playstation2 games. Getting a new screen is very expensive and I feel since the computer was a cheapo, its hardly worth it. I don't use it for much, only to check my emails and occasionally to browse the internet. We use the DELL desktop for important stuff. Many thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

By Cettina from Malta, Europe

Depends on the TV, and depends on the computer. Newer tvs have what is called an "S-Video" input. It's a little round port; usually on the back or the side next to the a/v inputs. Most laptops and newer computers have the "S-Video" output.

You can connect the two by getting an S-video cable wire to link the computer to the TV. Now to get it to show up on your TV: look for the "input" button (sometimes it says "source").

Scroll until you find the one that says "S-video" you should immediately see the image on your computer show up on your tv. Use the keyboard and mouse as usual.

This option is great; you can watch veoh.com; hulu.com, netflix (if you have it); watch dvds, check email etc. Some channels like cnn have live streaming.

But if your TV does Not have an S-Video input I'm not sure what you could do, but check the s-video option first.

Hey, other thrifty fun fans; try this out.

Thanks twilightgift. My acer is only 2 years old (but unfortunately bought in the U.S. and warranty isn't good for Europe where I live - it was a gift) so the s plug thingy you were talking about shouldn't be a problem. My TV may be a problem since its 10 years old and may not have a place to plug in the cable. I will check. A cable wire is much cheaper than a new LCD screen.

October 9, 2009 Flag

Can I link my TV to my computer so I can watch movies I view via my high speed computer internet connection? It's a desktop computer, not a laptop, and I have a great TV and could watch movies all comfy if I could just use my TV as a monitor. Is this possible?

I have a subscription to a movie site to instantly watch movies on my computer, and my broadband internet carrier is also my cable TV carrier, if that matters. Am I making something up? Whenever I think I have an idea, it turns out someone's already been doing it for years.

Not too techno-savvy, not up with the times and my teenage son will probably laugh that I'm posting this dumb question, but I am capable of buying interface cables and following instructions, plugging in cables, installing software, etc. My son will reap the benefits too, if this idea is possible. Any thoughts or advice out there? Thanks.

Laura from Northern CA

Answers:

Using TV As A Computer Monitor

Well Laura, I don't have an answer but a suggestion.

1. Why not ask your cable company.
  2. You could also ask people at the Geek squad at Best Buy.They came to my house once to help me out.
  3. Maybe someone in the TV department at Best Buy or another store that sells electronic gear could also help.
  4. An electronic tech who repairs computers may also be a source for information.
  5. A call to these folks could give you answers instead of physically visiting the store in person.

Good luck. (05/09/2008)

By Harry

Using TV As A Computer Monitor

You can also buy a TV card to plug into your computer, like a scanner card or a video card. Then you should be able to plug your cable or whatever right into the computer. (05/13/2008)

By Noella

Using TV As A Computer Monitor

If you have an "S video" output on the computer (a lot do) and an input on the TV just run a cable.

(05/13/2008)

By Johnny

Using TV As A Computer Monitor

Johnny (thanks everyone else too): I do have "S" video input on the TV. How do I know if I do on the computer? (05/13/2008)

By Laura

Using TV As A Computer Monitor

Funny you should ask. My TV has s-video, but my laptop doesn't so I just bought a PC to TV converter box last week. However, the A/V (audio video) cable doesn't seem to project the sound through the TV. Maybe someone knows the answer to this. Also, the resolution is a little fuzzy. Have to play with it to get it to be more clear. Great for movies if the sound works, but not that great for text.

I also got a wireless keyboard and mouse. Some of the PC to TV converters have remote controls. I paid about $50 for mine online without the remote. However, you would be able to have a personal video recorder so you could save your movies and TV shows to your computer just like your DVR or TIVO without the fees. So, does anyone know how to get audio to the TV? Even though it is a little fuzzy it is a keeper. (05/16/2008)

By Puddintane

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Computers TipsOctober 9, 2009
A person cleaning a flat screen monitor with a cloth.
Cleaning a Flat Screen Monitor
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a Computer Screen
Computer Monitor
Adjusting the Resolution on a Computer Monitor
woman's hand cleaning a monitor
Safe Homemade Computer Screen Cleaner
🎉
🎄