Discolored Wool Sweater

I have 2 questions regarding Norweigan wool ski sweaters with stains. Both are very expensive sweaters with lots of colors. Both are hand washable. The first one I got cheap because it has a white background that has yellowed in one patch while sitting on the shelf in a store. (I thought sunlight faded things, but the grey pattern over the white is not effected.) There's also bright red wool on this sweater.

Any suggestions on how I can restore the wool to it's former snowy white without risking the grey or red pattern? The second sweater is an old favorite that got mustard on the sleeve. Nothing I've tried has gotten it out.; The main color on that sweater is grey. Can you get mustard out of wool?

There is a product at my local Wilco store that is called Sublime. This stuff is wonderfull. It removes hard water stains, grease and food stains to just name a few. This does cost about $12.00 a gallon, but one gallon will last about a year. I have used it several times and it has never caused any problems with different types of materials. It does not have a real chemical smell, it smells like almonds.

Maybe you can try the Clorox Bleach Pen. It is like 3 bucks at WalMart and other stores. You just dab it on gently and then rinse well, being careful not to let the bleach-y water get on the rest of the garment. I have had a lot of luck with this stuff on stains on white portions of colored garments.

Also--another tip that may help you---sometimes I make a paste of Snowy Bleach and "paint" that on the discolored part, let it sit and rinse out well, then wash garment as usual.

I would not use any bleach on wool....it might break down the fibers..have you tried an oxy cleaner? .. just don't get the water too warm.

A guest speaker, Peach, responded Snowy Bleach could be found at Walmart, and a couple of other discount stores for $3. Has anyone actually found this product? I think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread but can not find it anywhere except the Vermont Country Store and they are quite expensive. I live between Winchester, VA and Cumberland, Md. Some times areas of the country make a difference what can and can't be obtained. Thanks all!

I washed an ecru sweater with dishwasher liquid thinking it would be easier on the fabric..instead it left white patches on the ecru. The detergent did not have chlorine in it (it was Ajax) so I dont know why it did that. What can I do now to make patches blend in? Should I bleach the whole sweater or do I risk getting only more white patches?

Or should I dye the sweater black?

Wool Sweater
Removing Stains From Wool Clothing
Home and Garden Cleaning StainsJanuary 5, 2005
Knitted Sweaters
Making a Liner for a Knitted Sweater
Decorating with Area Rugs, Cleaning a Wool Area Rug, Wool area rug on a living room floor.
Cleaning a Wool Area Rug
Knitted Sweaters
Stretching Shrunken Wool Garments
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Discolored Linoleum