Removed Drywall Paper with Wallpaper

I removed wallpaper from the wall. The wall is now partially rough as the top layer of sheet rock came off with wallpaper. How can the wall be repaired?

By Heyjudecf

Easy fix here. Use a product called Gardz from Zinsser. It is a clear bonding primer. Basically you use it to seal down the drywall paper, then you patch the wall where you have to, then you put one more coat of Gardz on to seal the compound. Then you can paint over it.

I just bought a house that was built in 1975 and attempted to remove the wallpaper in the kitchen using Dif. I have only taken down a ceiling to floor strip 2' wide, but parts of the drywall paper peeled off with the wallpaper. Has anyone else made the mistake and if so, what did you do to correct it?

ZC

Answers:

Removed Drywall Paper with Wallpaper

This happened with my kitchen and bathroom (builder failed to prime walls before wallpaper installed) so, I did a "faux finish" paint job (Kilz'd it first). No one knows and I get many, many compliments. I did this about 4 years ago and it still looks as good as it did when first completed. Make sure seams are "tight". I am going to repaint both of these rooms soon (tired of colors) and plan on doing the same. (04/19/2005)

By Gail

Removed Drywall Paper with Wallpaper

I also removed wallpaper from drywall and had the drywall paper facing come off. What I did, which worked well, was:

1. After all paper was removed, I sealed all walls with a product called Gardz that seals the walls and makes them smooth. It also prevents any moisture from getting into the drywall, which can cause large bubbles later, or so I've heard.
  2. Then I used joint compound to patch the drywall where needed.
  3. I sanded well and lightly wiped walls to get off excess dust.
  4. I used a good primer and then painted.
It worked fine. Took a while, but the result is great. You can't tell that there was any damage to the drywall.

Good luck. (05/14/2005)

By Barb