Internet TipsComputers

Using a Dish to Get Internet in Rural Areas

I live in rural Saskatchewan and only have dial-up internet and sometimes it is very slow. We have received information regarding putting up dishes on top of a Silo or something and then more than one can share. Has anyone done this and does it work well? Thanks in advance.

Gloria from Saskatchewan, Canada

I am not sure if this is a do-it-yourself project or not. Many of the rural people around here use "yourlink", which is a company that provides high speed via satellite here in Sask. Perhaps you could google this or look it up in the business directory at mysask.com, and phone this company for information. The people who have this seem very satisfied with it.

Louise, at Nipawin, Sask.

HI, I am western MN and live in a smaller town, where you can get cable internet, dialup, phone company high speed and I went with a company from a nearby town who has been trying to get rural internet up and going. They have a signal radio just 5 blocks down the street of top of a grain elevator. I have a dish on the front porch roof to catch it. My high speed only cost me $30 a month. So there are companies out there. You have to have a radio set up in your home to feed to a base unit or wireless broadband router. I have my desktop which could be set up anywhere and the lap top goes all over the house.

This is not a do it yourself project as the signals must function through their equipment they establish.

J in MN

When I lived in a rural area and used dial-up, it was the phone line that was the limitation. I had a 56K modem but it was no help, since the computer people told me that in that area the phone lines were only 33K. By all means any system that bypasses phone lines would be worth investigating. What are your neighbors using?

Hi, I live in a rural area and we cant get dsl or cable out here internet through the cell phone companys don't work either, so I decided to try satellite I got Hughes net and even though it is pricey it works great faster than dial-up. I'm happy.