Product FinderConsumer Advice

Best Mattress for Back Problems

What is the best and most affordable mattress for people with back problems?

By LisaKay from Stanford, KY

We love our tempurpedic. The plain Jane model was about 2000, but well worth it. They last 20 years, so in the end I think they are worth it. I even sprung for the tempurpedic pillow! It really helped my neck pain.

I can't use the tempurpedic pillow, but I love the mattress. It's so comfortable, won't sleep on anything else.

I know this is a personal question, but I am looking for a mattress for my son who has degenerative disc disease in his lower spine. I am considering the tempurpedic, and was wondering what kinds of back problems all you wonderfully helpful posters have? Mattresses are so expensive, I could really use some help! Thank you.

I have lower-back pain, probably from an injury when I was 12 or 13 and stupidly jumped off the garage roof (on a dare.) I sprained my back pretty badly, but was too ashamed even to tell my mom. I also have chronic neck pain, probably from car accidents through the years.

I'm on a fixed income, so the Tempur Pedic was far beyond my means. An extra-firm mattress turned out to be too firm, even though I've heard firmer mattresses are better. In the end, I bought a gently-used bed from our local St Vincent de Paul thrift shop. The mattress is what I'd call "semi-firm" and much better for my back. I bought myself a Contour Cloud pillow last Christmas, and that's helped my neck, at least a little.

We bought a Sealy latex mattress for my husband who was having a lot of back pain. He loves it. I would have liked the pillow top model, but since he was the one suffering we opted for the firmer of the two. If you watch the sales, they have them on sale often.

This is the link to the sealy site:

http://www.seal  /SpringFree.aspx