Uses for Wood Cigar Boxes

For Organizing

I have a junk drawer and I would think it would be great to use them to hold pens, pencils, loose paper for writing messages. Also, try it in your spice/cooking cabinet to hold things such as marinade packets,yeast packets, loose tea bags, small spice containers, etc.

Use it at Christmas time and wrap it with gift wrap or foil and present gifts with it. Your friends and family will enjoy recycling it over again themselves.

By Nicole

Small Frame or Shelf

I saw this idea on Trading Spaces. You can nail the box to a wall and tack the lid up so that it makes a small "shelf" or a frame. I think on the show they put votive candles in the boxes, but I don't think it would be a good idea to ever light the candles (fire hazard).

By Jill Z

Storing Craft Supplies

I store craft supplies in cigar boxes. To get the tobacco smell out of the box put a couple of tablespoons of baking soda in a cupcake paper inside the box for a few days.

By Carol

Using The Wood

A lot of cigar boxes are made of balsa wood and are dove tailed together. You can take the boxes apart and use the wood in craft projects. My grandfather used to make me doll house furniture out of the wood.

Per the "trading spaces" idea, maybe a candle would be a bad idea, but placed on a wall would make it an excellent shadow box. They may be useful for packaging gifts like a box of soaps, herbs, etc. The boxes can be covered or painted.

By Mickie

Stationery Holders

I've used cigar boxes two ways. Since I'm a stamper, I make sets of notecards for the women in my family every year. Last year I decorated cigar boxes to become stationery holders and tucked the notecards, pens, and stamps inside. This year, my Christmas present is reproducing all of the family recipes. I'm converting appropriately-sized cigar boxes into recipe card files.

By Pat R.

A Treasure Box

When I was a child, cigar boxes were used as "treasure boxes". A good place for the storage of all of the special things I found or was given: a piece of glass polished by the ocean, a feather from a robin, a stone that looked like it had a face, a card that had sparkles and fuzzies on it from a favorite aunt or friend. It was universally known to be off-limits to parents. I painted a pirate chest on the top of one and sent it (with a less adult explanation) to the 3 year old son of a friend. He loved it, and still brings it to our home to show us his new "treasures". The original that I had was a cardboard cigar box, but you get the idea!

By Weatheredoaks

Cigar Box Guitars

I've started making cigar box guitars from them. They are cheap, strong, and the wooden ones resonate fairly well. As a finished instrument, they sound very similar to an Old Time banjo. They are a lot of fun to play too.

By Bill Jehle

Could you please send the directions for the cigar box guitars. It sounds like fun to make.

thank you very much,

you can make a shadow box with it. find a frame and use brackets on the back of frame to connect the box to it. decorate the frame first and put something in the box before using brackets. hope this will help.

I would also love to hear about how to make a cigar box guitar

I'd also like to have directions for cigar box guitars.

My grandfather once said, "Every kid should have a cigar box of their very own." I have used them for years as gifts containing lots of "small stuff". Here are a couple of examples: A high school graduate, pack it with stuff for the "top drawer"; pens, pencils, chapstick, a pocket knife, stamps, small stapler, etc., things you have collected for them. For your female spouse include jewelry, a letter from you, a shell the two of you found on the beach together. For your male spouse a pair of cufflinks, a belt buckle, a pack of matches. For a kid some games, erasers, a yo-yo, and on and on and on. I assure you the gift will be special and remembered. Put all of the stuff together in the box like a puzzle. Beautiful!

Cigars in a Box
Uses for Cigar Boxes
Crafts Recycled CraftsAugust 9, 2006
Cup Stain on Wood
Removing Cup Rings from Wood Furniture
Cigars in a Box
Making a Cigar Box Guitar
Making a Cigar Box Purse
Making a Cigar Box Purse
Cigars in a Box
Craft Ideas for Cigar Boxes