Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

How do I make chlorine bleach?

I have been researching in the web and find that standard chlorine bleach is a 6% solution of sodium hydrochlorite. How do you mix a 6% solution?

Scotty From Lecanto Florida

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By carla bledsoe (Guest Post)09/19/2006

unless you are a trained chemist or this is a science project you shouldn't mess with it. chlorine is a dangerous chemical and is absorbed through the skin as well as from fumes. a mistake could be fatal!

By scotty (Guest Post)09/19/2006

I intend to attempt making my own bleach. I was thinking that a !% by volume would be one ounce of the sodium crystals((using a liquid measureing cup)) to 100 ounces of water. The research showed that the specific gravity of a 6% solution should be 1.2((if i read the information correctly)) I will use the hydrometer as a test.
Can anyone help me with the information i need to mix the dry sodium hyperchlorite crystals into a water solvent to achive a 1% or a 6% solution.
I enjoy doing things like this. I make my own wine, I make .1 sulfite solution for the acidity tests. There are many things that can be fun if one is carefull.
Help me learn. I also have a scale that measures grains and grams.
Thanks
SCOTTY

By Claudia-MD (Guest Post)09/19/2006

Since bleach is so cheap, I wouldn't bother to mix it yourself; you would probably have trouble finding a place to buy the sodium hydrochrolite. Having said that, a 6% solution would be, for example, 6 tablespoons of the chemical (provided it is a liquid) to 100 tablespoons of water. If the chemical is dry, you have a whole new set of issues. Unless you are making huge quantities of the stuff, I would just buy the generic/store brand....it costs almost nothing.