How do I make chlorine bleach?

I have been researching in the web and find that standard chlorine bleach is a 6% solution of sodium hydrochlorite. How do you mix a 6% solution?

Scotty From Lecanto Florida

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Since bleach is so cheap, I wouldn't bother to mix it yourself; you would probably have trouble finding a place to buy the sodium hydrochrolite. Having said that, a 6% solution would be, for example, 6 tablespoons of the chemical (provided it is a liquid) to 100 tablespoons of water. If the chemical is dry, you have a whole new set of issues. Unless you are making huge quantities of the stuff, I would just buy the generic/store brand....it costs almost nothing.

I intend to attempt making my own bleach. I was thinking that a !% by volume would be one ounce of the sodium crystals((using a liquid measureing cup)) to 100 ounces of water. The research showed that the specific gravity of a 6% solution should be 1.2((if i read the information correctly)) I will use the hydrometer as a test.

Can anyone help me with the information i need to mix the dry sodium hyperchlorite crystals into a water solvent to achive a 1% or a 6% solution.

I enjoy doing things like this. I make my own wine, I make .1 sulfite solution for the acidity tests. There are many things that can be fun if one is carefull.

Help me learn. I also have a scale that measures grains and grams.

Thanks

SCOTTY

unless you are a trained chemist or this is a science project you shouldn't mess with it. chlorine is a dangerous chemical and is absorbed through the skin as well as from fumes. a mistake could be fatal!

Answer

Make Your Own CleaningSeptember 16, 2006
Bleach Bottle on White Background
Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
Bleach Bottle
Getting Rid of Bleach Smell
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
Washing light colored laundry without chlorine bleach.
Chlorine Bleach Alternatives for Laundry
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 25, 2016 at 3:54:28 PM on 10.0.2.141 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.