Help With Crochet Instructions

Rows 2-8 of the pattern reads chain 1, stitch increase evenly 6 times around (48 st). Can you tell me exactly how this is done? Thanks.

By Mary from Wichita, KS

Chain 1, then increase by working 2 single crochets in the one stitch evenly around the row. Work so many sc (single crochets), then work 2 sc in another stitch to increase.

If you haven't figured this out yet, try this. I'll assume you're doing SC but if not, change to DC.

Ch1

Make 2 SC in first SC of previous row.

SC in next 6

Make 2 SC in next

SC in next 6

(Continue until you've done 2 SC in 6 stitches in that row)

Now, you've increased six stitches over your original 42 stitches and you're ending with 48.

In your next row, row 3, you'll have to increase another 6 stitches spreading them out over the 48 stitches. You'll end with 54 stitches this time.

Do increase rows for a total of 7 rows. You will have 84 stitches (if my math is correct) when you're finished with rows 2-8.

I hope this helps.

dcfp is double crochet front post.

December 23, 2010 Flag

I need some crocheting help. I am teaching myself to crochet, and I'm having trouble deciphering this part of a pattern: "*dcfp in next 2 stitches, dcfp in next 2 stitches, repeat until end of row".

I know that dcfp means double crochet front post, and I know how to do that, but I don't get the "in the next 2 stitches part" and why that part is repeated twice in the pattern. Thanks for reading.

By Stephanie

Answers:

Help With Crochet Instructions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIu4HfUpvsY
http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf49248574.tip.html

I think you are to repeat the same pattern to the end of the row. There might be a mistake in the instructions.
Check out the You Tube site, it has helped me with my crocheting. If I'm wrong, maybe someone else in the Thriftyfun community can help you out. (11/23/2009)

By MCW

Help With Crochet Instructions

It sounds as though you are suppose to be decreasing 'dcfp in next 2 stitches." Are you? You can always mark where you are at and do this, if it does not look like pic , you can always take it out. Sometimes mistakes are made when they pattern is being written up. I taught myself to crochet and knit from a book. (11/23/2009)

By applejack

Help With Crochet Instructions

It's not decrease; that is always abbreviated dec.
The "in the next two stitches" means in each of the next two stitches.

As to the repeated part, What are the instructions for the next row?
it's possible that on the next row you may be doing the dcfp for the first two stitches, and then the rest of the row differently.

For example it might be:
Row 1: dcfp next two stiches, dcfp next two stitches across row.
Row 2: dcfp next two stitches, dcbp (back post) next two stitches across row, or repeat across row.

Or it might be a misprint and should read dfp2 stitches dcbp (back post) two stitches.

Does either one of those explain it? If neither one of those suggestions explain it, feel free to contact me, and I we'll try something else. (11/23/2009)

By Mary T

Help With Crochet Instructions

Thank you so much for all your responses! I think Mary T. is correct in that the pattern is supposed to alternate front and back post stitches--that's what I'm trying now! Happy Holidays! (11/24/2009)

By countessj

Help With Crochet Instructions

You can also learn by watching videos on U Tube.com Just put in "learning to crochet" and you will have a huge selection of videos to watch and learn by. It's great. Good luck! And get ready, this hobby is addicting! :) (12/01/2009)

By PainterLee

Help With Crochet Instructions

In the feedback I have read, they seem to be leaning toward a decrease in the pattern.

I make up patterns and sometimes use a decrease stitch of sorts but then add a chain stitch between them just to make a design. If the decrease type did not work, try putting a chain between them and see if that helps. (12/01/2009)

By clynnaltemus

July 28, 2009 Flag

I have just learned to crochet and I came across in my pattern directions, "2dc closed together on next two dc". I have no idea what they are talking about and I was hoping someone could please help me. Thanks.

Denise from Marion, NY

Answers:

Help With Crochet Instructions

I believe that it means to crochet the first one until you have 2 loops left, then do another DC until you have 2 loops, then pull through all 4 loops to make the two DC's into 1 DC. This would be if you are reducing at that spot. Hope this helps. (07/24/2008)

By Tracy H.

Help With Crochet Instructions

This means you are suppose to work 2 double crochet together in each of the next 2 double crochets. Work a dc in the first dc., but leave a loop on your hook. Work the second dc and leave a loop. Then pull yarn through all loops. Repeat this in the next dc. (07/26/2008)

By Charlotte

Help With Crochet Instructions

I found a crocheting for dummies book at a book fair, for less than 5 dollars, great help. (07/31/2008)

By micksgirl

Help With Crochet Instructions

While not an expert in crochet, having only learned to crochet last summer, I too have struggled over crochet instructions. I'm of the understanding that your "2dc closed together on next 2 dc" is a bizarre form of decrease. Try this: work 1dc, but do not draw yarn thru last 2 loops on hook. Work the next dc until 1 loop remains, yo, and draw thru all 3 loops on hook. One dc decreased. Practice this a couple of times for it to make sense. Hope it helps. Heidi. (08/01/2008)

By Bella69

Help With Crochet Instructions

This seems to be the beginning of a pattern stitch, such as a popcorn stitch. Your best bet would probably be to look at the beginning of the instructions for a list of "Special Stitches". They usually explain what the stitch is and how to achieve it. (08/19/2008)

By mepixie1

Crafts CrochetDecember 23, 2010
crochet snake
Making a Crochet Snake
Making a Bow Style Crochet Headband
Making a Bow Style Crochet Headband
Crochet
Making a Crochet Pattern Book
A person crocheting a pink baby blanket.
Finding Time to Crochet
🎄