How to Make a Crocheted Americana Centerpiece
This Americana centerpiece requires some beginning crochet skills. Foil balls are covered with crochet chains. You will also learn how to make simple crochet flowers to add to the display. Read on for full instructions, supplies list, and photos.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
I was asked to make a centerpiece for an upcoming potluck. I came up with something for you to make that looks cool. The centerpiece can be displayed and then taken apart allowing you to use the yarn, etc. in other projects.
Total Time: 2 Hours
- 1 tray ($.50)
- 5 yd foil ($.25)
- 3 mini flags ($.50)
- 2 mini stars ($0.00)
- 10 fabric squares ($0.00)
- 8 oz yarn in burgundy, tan and navy ($.50)
- 1 size I hook ($0.00)
- scissors ($0.00)
- 2 cups decorative sand (optional) ($1.00)
- 1 plastic place mat ($1.00)
- 20 straight pins ($0.00)
- 3 mini buckets ($1.00)
- Wrap your foil pieces into balls in 3 sizes: large, medium, and small (two of each size).
- Crochet your yarn into long chains. You can wrap the chains around the foil and pin the beginning and ends with the straight pins. This will make it so the yarn can be taken off when the event is over. Make sure the foil is covered.
- For each flower, pick the color you want. Each center and petals for the three flowers should be a different color. Chain 3 and make 11 double crochets in the first stitch. Join and break off, tying the two tails together in the back. Trim. Join the second color and chain 3. Make a half double in the first chain, then 2 doubles in the same chain. Skip 1 stitch on the flower center and slip stitch in the 2nd. Do this another 5 times for 6 petals. Make two more.
- Pour your sand in the middle. Place your mini buckets in the sand. Set the three crochet flowers on the top, putting the mini flags in the hole in the flower center.
- Lay the mini fabric squares around where they fit, place the stars, and you are pretty much done. I got the sand, flags, buckets, and place mat at the Dollar Tree. N-JOY!!