Avoiding Checkout Surprise

It seems really simple but some people still go over their spending limit when they shop and have to put stuff back at the checkout. I hate to do that, so what my husband and I do now is we set a limit and I put that limit into the calculator when we get to the store. As we put items into the cart I subtract them from the total. When I get to zero, I stop shopping.

By Christi from Paducah, KY

Woman Using Calculator

I also use a calculator, but I round every item up to the nearest cent, and that way I have a nice surprise when my groceries a cheaper than I thought.

Keeping a running guestimate is great mental practice. I've given the job to kids sometimes. I do it by rounding up for things over 50 cents up , less than, down.

On the back of my grocery list or a receipt, I write down all the prices, but round up to the next dollar (even if it's only 1 cent over). That way it will almost always be less even with the extra little treats. I also try to stay within a certain amount per week, that way I know I'm within budget and can make little stops if necessary for any extras without worrying about going over for the week.

Tired of being surprised by the total when you get at the checkout? Carry a small calculator and keep a running total as you go through the store. It eliminates the surprise (or shock) of hearing the total from the checker and also makes it easy to stick to your grocery budget.

By ThriftyFun

I take an itemized list to the store and write down my prices instead of chancing to lose the tally on the calculator. I then add up the prices in each sub-section (the sections are arranged by where the things are in the store) and have an easy total for the list by the end of the shopping trip.

I also go with a set amount to spend - we spend about $100 a week on a family of 6 - and I take cash (not checks, debits/credit cards) so as to avoid going over.

I always round up, used to for taxes, now just to be safe. I itemize my list and put everything mandatory in the cart while keeping track mentally or in the calculator. My list is separated by category, then I write down amounts/sizes and do NOT deviate unless it is an absolutely better deal.(origanlly for DH, who hates being in stores but volunteered to get groceries, now I just do it so I don't stand around thinking!

Unnecessary Purchases
Avoiding Unnecessary Purchases
Budget & Finance ShoppingMarch 16, 2006
Surprise 16th Birthday Party
Surprise 16th Birthday Party Ideas
Office Illness
Tips for Avoiding Office Illnesses
Woman framed by hanging clothing looking concerned
Avoiding Shopping Impulsively
Party Balloons
Surprise 50th Birthday Party Ideas