Removing Cigarette Odor from Drapes

I purchased drapes from a second hand store. They must have been in a smoker's home. Does anyone have any tips on how to get rid of the awful smell? I tried washing them and hanging them outside in the fresh air. Any other ideas? Thank you.

By Linda from Victoria

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

These instructions are for clothing, but I'm sure it would work for washable drapes, too.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar ... ove_cigarette_smell_from.html=?cat=6
You place 2 Tbsp. baking soda (I would use more) and 2 dryer sheets in a plastic bag with the drapes. Shake and let sit for 2 nights. Discard the baking soda and dryer sheets, remove the drapes from the bag and wash with laundry detergent and 1/2 cup vinegar.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By susan 33 441 08/18/2010

Have you tried Fabreeze? or dryer sheets? I had to wash mine four times to get the nicotine stains out of them, I don't remember that they smelled after that. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Lilac 20 1,333 08/18/2010

Wash them in ammonia water several times. Fill your washer then add a bottle of ammonia. Make sure the room is ventilated. This might work. It is not the smoke that won't come out. It is the nicotine and it is very hard to get out of anything.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Sherri 10 552 08/18/2010

Hello, Yes, have them dry cleaned.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Louise B. 6 2,508 08/18/2010

A warning about ammonia, it is good at removing odors, but it also can change the color of the item you are washing. I had lovely dark Kelly green towels that I washed with 1 cup of ammonia, and now the towels are a lovely olive green. A whole bottle of ammonia is an awful lot in one wash load of laundry.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By xintexas 28 395 08/18/2010

Have you tried washing in vinager. It takes odor out and is harmless to color.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No