OdorsCleaning

Removing Cigarette Odor from Drapes

I purchased drapes from a second hand store. They must have been in a smoker's home. Does anyone have any tips on how to get rid of the awful smell? I tried washing them and hanging them outside in the fresh air. Any other ideas? Thank you.

By Linda from Victoria

Anonymous

These instructions are for clothing, but I'm sure it would work for washable drapes, too.

http://www.asso  from.html=?cat=6

You place 2 Tbsp. baking soda (I would use more) and 2 dryer sheets in a plastic bag with the drapes. Shake and let sit for 2 nights. Discard the baking soda and dryer sheets, remove the drapes from the bag and wash with laundry detergent and 1/2 cup vinegar.

Have you tried Fabreeze? or dryer sheets? I had to wash mine four times to get the nicotine stains out of them, I don't remember that they smelled after that. Good luck.

Wash them in ammonia water several times. Fill your washer then add a bottle of ammonia. Make sure the room is ventilated. This might work. It is not the smoke that won't come out. It is the nicotine and it is very hard to get out of anything.

Hello, Yes, have them dry cleaned.

A warning about ammonia, it is good at removing odors, but it also can change the color of the item you are washing. I had lovely dark Kelly green towels that I washed with 1 cup of ammonia, and now the towels are a lovely olive green. A whole bottle of ammonia is an awful lot in one wash load of laundry.

Have you tried washing in vinager. It takes odor out and is harmless to color.