Removing Cigarette Odor from Drapes

I purchased drapes from a second hand store. They must have been in a smoker's home. Does anyone have any tips on how to get rid of the awful smell? I tried washing them and hanging them outside in the fresh air. Any other ideas? Thank you.

By Linda from Victoria

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

These instructions are for clothing, but I'm sure it would work for washable drapes, too.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar ... ove_cigarette_smell_from.html=?cat=6

You place 2 Tbsp. baking soda (I would use more) and 2 dryer sheets in a plastic bag with the drapes. Shake and let sit for 2 nights. Discard the baking soda and dryer sheets, remove the drapes from the bag and wash with laundry detergent and 1/2 cup vinegar.

Have you tried Fabreeze? or dryer sheets? I had to wash mine four times to get the nicotine stains out of them, I don't remember that they smelled after that. Good luck.

Wash them in ammonia water several times. Fill your washer then add a bottle of ammonia. Make sure the room is ventilated. This might work. It is not the smoke that won't come out. It is the nicotine and it is very hard to get out of anything.

Hello, Yes, have them dry cleaned.

A warning about ammonia, it is good at removing odors, but it also can change the color of the item you are washing. I had lovely dark Kelly green towels that I washed with 1 cup of ammonia, and now the towels are a lovely olive green. A whole bottle of ammonia is an awful lot in one wash load of laundry.

Have you tried washing in vinager. It takes odor out and is harmless to color.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsAugust 14, 2010
Piano Keyboard
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors From a Piano
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Light colored drapes.
Removing Wrinkles from Curtains and Drapes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 8, 2016 at 11:22:36 AM on 10.0.0.173 in 738 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.