Removing Cigarette Odor from Drapes

By Linda Andrews 9 3

I purchased drapes from a second hand store. They must have been in a smoker's home. Does anyone have any tips on how to get rid of the awful smell? I tried washing them and hanging them outside in the fresh air. Any other ideas? Thank you.

By Linda from Victoria

Showing: Answers Sort

thr755190 Flag

These instructions are for clothing, but I'm sure it would work for washable drapes, too.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar ... ove_cigarette_smell_from.html=?cat=6

You place 2 Tbsp. baking soda (I would use more) and 2 dryer sheets in a plastic bag with the drapes. Shake and let sit for 2 nights. Discard the baking soda and dryer sheets, remove the drapes from the bag and wash with laundry detergent and 1/2 cup vinegar.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By susan 33 441 Flag

Have you tried Fabreeze? or dryer sheets? I had to wash mine four times to get the nicotine stains out of them, I don't remember that they smelled after that. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Lilac 20 1,329 Flag

Wash them in ammonia water several times. Fill your washer then add a bottle of ammonia. Make sure the room is ventilated. This might work. It is not the smoke that won't come out. It is the nicotine and it is very hard to get out of anything.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Sherri 10 551 Flag

Hello, Yes, have them dry cleaned.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

A warning about ammonia, it is good at removing odors, but it also can change the color of the item you are washing. I had lovely dark Kelly green towels that I washed with 1 cup of ammonia, and now the towels are a lovely olive green. A whole bottle of ammonia is an awful lot in one wash load of laundry.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By xintexas 28 395 Flag

Have you tried washing in vinager. It takes odor out and is harmless to color.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsAugust 14, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Piano Keyboard
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors From a Piano
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Cigarette Smoke
Removing Cigarette Smoke Smell From a Painting
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 2:20:48 PM on 10.0.1.230 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings