Frugal Substitute Dishwashing Liquid

Use baking soda/vinegar to clean dishes. I have seen tips on using baking soda as a substitute for dish washing liquid or powder but they usually involved adding some other cleaning element as well, and I have seen the use of vinegar for many cleaning uses but I have not yet seen these two in combination.

I had dish powder left over still to use, but I had become frustrated with finding my dishes not clean and the rather expensive dish powder clumped in the receptacle. So, I thought I would give this a try. I loaded the dishwasher with my dishes, and used generic dollar store brand baking soda in the receptacle in the same amount as I would have dish powder and in the rinse receptacle I used plain white distilled vinegar.

My dishes came out sparkling clean, no spots, and no clumps of undissolved cleaner, or residue. No weird chemical smell on my dishes either. I will never go back to the chemical way again. The baking soda and vinegar combo works great. It is much better for my family and the environment as well and the fact that it costs a lot less is just the icing on the cake!

By Cheryl from Smithsburg, MD

This looks both economical & environmentally friendly. I'll be giving it a try.

I knew about the vinegar to replace rinse aid but not about the baking soda (bi carb soda for Aussies). I tried the baking soda last night and it works wonderfully. Thanks Cheryl for this great idea. Commercial dishwashing powder has a lot of nasties in it that I won't be using anymore.

Thanks for sharing. I'll be trying this.

Hi, I just wanted to add some info to this along with a recipe to make laundry soap that i picked up from the internet and tried and it works great. So here goes... Baking soda is also know as sodium bicarbonate, if you heat it in your oven at 350 for 20-30 minutes it cooks off the bi of the carbonate and becomes washing soda. So it is a washing agent that can be used safely around the house and even used in you shower/ bath as i do use it to clean myself with also but i just use strait baking soda with water and it works and feels great. So onto the laundry detergent.

You will need 1 cup washing soda

1/2 cup borax

1 bar of ivory soap and 3 gal + 4c water

Boil 4 cups water with shaved up soap. Let simmer till melted

in 5gal bucket put 3 gal warm water, borax and washing soda,mix well now put in the melted soap from stove and stir. Let sit covered over night and there you have it laundry detergent. Simple and cheap about 1.25 For 4 gals wow!

I have to give credit to the simple dollar as that is where i got the recipe and I'm here to tell you your cloths never were so soft or fresh as using this stuff!

Little Girl Dishwashing
Saving Money On Dishwashing
Home and Garden Cleaning DishesFebruary 18, 2009
Dishwasher detergent being poured into a dishwasher.
Cleaning With Dishwashing Detergent
Dishwashing Liquid
Hand Dishwashing Liquid Reviews
liquid laundry soap
Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipes
Homemade Dish Soap Recipes, Man Washing Dishes
Saving Money on Dishwashing Liquid