Dog Scratching But I Don't See Any Fleas

Category Health
There several reasons your dog may be noticeably scratching. If there are no fleas more investigation is needed. This is a guide about dog scratching but I don't see any fleas.

My dog is acting like he has fleas, but I do not see any. He has white tan fur, and I should be able to see them (I would think). He keeps acting weird and looking at his tail and behind, and stands up and then sits down fast to see what is on him. He has a major fear of bugs. He is now hiding under my computer desk and shakes. I changed his food over 2 weeks ago to Moist N Meaty, because he is so picky. He is acting weirder then normal lately. Any ideas? Could it be the food? He itched before, that is not new. But the hiding and acting like things are crawling on him is so sad.

Lisa from Westland

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Maybe he has an allergy to something. You could always go the safe route and apply Frontline just in case it is something like fleas or ticks. But if he's acting extra batty, you may need to take him to the vet. If it's his hind end that's giving him fits, it might be worms, too. That's easy enough to fix. Good luck!

Best Answer

He could be allergic to something in the food or he could have skin allergies. I had a cocker spanial that had bad allergies. You probably should take him to the vet and have him checked out. They can give him medicine for the itching and spray too. That way you will know what is wrong with him. Good luck to you both and I hope he feels better.

Best Answer

I would get an appointment with your vet as soon as possible because allergies can turn into a Staph infection pretty quickly. My vet could find irritation when I couldn't.

He sounds like he is really mserable. I know the vet bills are expensive but sometimes our four legged friends have to come first. I rescued two cats in January and one has a severe allergy either to her food or the cat litter - I am afraid to change either now. The brand Innova has food for both cats and dogs that has no grain. It is called "Evo" and that is what I use. I found it at Petco.

Best Answer

I think he might have allergies but if he shakes have the vet just do an exam. At least he can diagnose the problem. My dog (cocker spaniel) has a habit of standing up and staring at her backend too, then sitting down. I had her checked for worms (none). It turns out she is prone to urinary issues which come and go and dry skin.

He really needs to be seen by a vet - maybe they can give you a payment plan. That he's scared and shaky would scare me - he doesn't have to have fleas to be itchy - he could have allergies. I wouldn't put anything on him without a professionals advice. It really could also be his food.

Sometimes you can't see the fleas but they are there use a flea comb to check for sure you will be surprised. My dog suffered from non stop itching, licking,scratching, chewing , infections and she smelled terrible, & losing her hair for the past 7 yrs. She also had ear problems. I lived at the vet he said it was air born allergies,and flea dematitis, he was giving her cortizone shots and I had to bath her 2 times a week with special medicine at $18.00 a bottle and it never worked. I looked it on the internet and it said it could be food allergies. I asked my vet he said it could be only 15% chance that this is what was causing it.(They never told me that this is what could be wrong with my dog).He told me he didnt think that was the problem after I questioned him about it. I put her on this new diet that contains NO Beef or Beef By-products,Soy,Corn,Wheat or Glutens.

You have to read the ingredients very carefully on the dog and cat food. You can get the food from the Vet or Pet Stores,Wal-Mart, which is a little cheaper, Its expensive but well worth it. Theres not to much of a choice but I found some that she likes. Its been over 3 weeks now her hair is growing back and no more scratching,etc. she also lost 3 lbs which is good she was a little over weight. My dog is now looking great. I also gave her a bath with liquid Dial Anti Bacterial soap this healed up the sores immediately. Another important thing not to do is give them table food because these ingredients could also be in there.Dog treats as well. READ the ingredients first before you feed it to them. As for the fleas I had a major problem I no longer use the flea control med it wasn't working tried them all, I have 3 dogs and 5 cats, I vacuum everyday empty it into a bag tie a not in it and put in outside in the garbage.

I gave the dogs flea baths at first, then sprayed my couch, and carpeting with Adams flea spray it lasts a long time(months) and I combed them all with a flea comb every day at first and keep my grass cut short, it took about 2 weeks to get rid of them but I am now flea free, besides I am also saving a lot of money and no more aggravation.

Believe it or not for some reason dogs with lighter hair get skin disorders easier than others. One flea bite could cause his entire body to react, changing his food often is a real no no. How often do you bath him and if you do use baby shampoo instead of the non working flea shampoos that have all the chemicals, put some olive oil and an egg in his food every now and then. But the first thing I would do is really check for the fleas, like I said it can take only one to cause his poor misery. Imagine if that was you and you couldn't do anything about it.

My dog is a white hair puddle, he has hot spots and he bit and chew s himself for hours and he keeps us up at nite. Been to the Vet and has gotten meds for him and he just keeps it going and I am hurting for my dog sir and ma'am. Can some help me please, Mike

Check by your Dr. Anel glands for bottom Dr can squeeze it out.

My dog is constantly itching around his but and penis area. He doesn't have fleas. It's very annoying because he whines as he is scratching with his teeth. I also notice the area he scratches is reddish from constant scratching.