Scars on My Legs

By tina 1

What's a natural remedy that I can use to get rid of scars on my knees? When I was younger I was a tomboy and my knees are so scarred up from being rough. It didn't bother me then, but now that I am older it does.

By Tina from AZ

Filter Sort

By Joan 13 1,479 Flag

Everybody has some type of defect on their body. Scars on the knees from scratches shouldn't be that noticable other to the people that know about them. My guess is if you put a good moisturizing lotion on them regularly that should help a lot.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

thr522587 Flag

When I was young I was simply clumsy (well, it didn't help that I had one pretty bad pigeon toed foot that I often tripped myself with - LOL) and had really bad keloid scars on my knees and elbows. It takes quite awhile but I promise you that my scars eventually reduced and faded away and are now barely noticeable at all so yours will fade away too. :-) Redhatterb's advice of keeping your skin moisturized definitely does help! :-)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Juliet 2 7 Flag

I would try vitamin E oil. It can be found at any drugstore. You can also buy it in capsules just poke a hole in it. This worked for me. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: Scars on My Legs

Can anyone help me get rid of my scars on my legs. It makes me feel so uncomfortable. I don't have much confidence to face the world. I'm just a poor person. I can't afford those expensive products. If only there's a total makeover here for free I'll surely grab it. It's only in the U.S., where there is free make over.

Thanks,
Jole from Philippines

Answers:

RE: Scars on My Legs

I have the same problem. Not only do I have scars, but I'm very pale, so they show up a lot.
I don't have a miracle cure, but whenever I have to wear a dress, I wear dressy boots that go to my knees and a skirt that stops at the boots. It might take some shopping to find the right boots, but it's worth it. You can dress up and not worry about anyone seeing your legs! (08/22/2007)

By CandyCane

RE: Scars on My Legs

I have very big broken veins on my legs, I am 65 years old. My trick is to put concealer on the scar or spots, then my shade of make up, blot and put pressed powder on top. This keeps it on for most of the day. If you're wearing a dress this does work. I, too, cannot afford leg cover-up cream so this works for me. Hope this helps. Also, don't feel ashamed there are a lot of us with flaws. Bless you. (08/22/2007)

By Bonnie

RE: Scars on My Legs

My legs are always covered with scars from insect bites and I can't afford leg make-up either. Maybe that's a good thing: they come in weird colors and they're hard to spread evenly. I use Revlon's Colorstay foundation. It's about $8.00 a bottle, comes in a wide range of colors, is easy to apply, and stays put pretty good. In fact, it can be a little hard to get off. I don't know what cosmetics they sell in the Philippines but there must be some brand of long-lasting foundation, why don't you give it a try? (08/22/2007)

By perfume and powder

RE: Scars on My Legs

Try these tips. It might not help you get rid of it completely but it can definitely make it less visible.

1. Apply Vitamin E Oil Caplets on the scarred area.

2. Apply some tea tree oil (Mix it with some carrier oil like Sweet Almond) on the scar to help it heal faster.

3. Put 1-2 drops of lavender essential oil mixed with Carrier Oil (You can use any carrier oil like Sweet Almond, Apricot Kernel, etc.) on a cotton ball and apply on scar.

4. Mix Aloe Vera and vitamin E gel caplets and apply to the scar.

5. Rub honey on the scar as often as you can to make it heal.

6. Rub some olive oil on scars 2-3 times a day.

7. Apply Lacto Calamine lotion to get rid of scars
The source for this regime is mynaturalbeautytips, an online blog.

(08/25/2007)

By lifeisbeautiful

RE: Scars on My Legs

Try using Bio-Oil. You'll find it won't show much change for a couple of months, but the results are just wonderful! This oil doesn't completely make the scar(s) go away, it just lightens them so that you can barely notice it. You just have to be patient, though, and a 60ml bottle lasts a long time - especially for the price. (09/01/2007)

By Anonymous101

RE: Scars on My Legs

I've been trying "Glycolic acid" on my lower leg scars. The scars are from scraping my razor repeatedly over the years on that outer ligament just above the ankle bone. I also have one from where something shot out of the lawnmower and apparently embedded itself in my calf. These are deep burgundy red scars, although they aren't raised. I've had the razor one for almost a year now and the other for 3-4 months. The razor one is so bad my doctor asked me what kind of surgery I had had on my ankle.

I got this small bottle of Glycolic acid on eBay for around $5 or $8.00. Don't pay more. Commercial places and dermatologists will charge up to $50 for this. But you can get it readily on eBay much cheaper. I used it on my face and it was scary how strong it was. It is not recommended for use above the neck.

I've put it on my scars about 6 times in the past 2 weeks and tonight I really looked at them. I can tell you without a doubt, they are both definitely lighter in color and smaller. I will try it daily for a few days to really get the most intense sloughing action and will update in a week or so!
(09/10/2007)

By luvvy

DRAMATIC RESULTS!

Here's an update on my use of 70% Glycolic Acid on my 2 leg scars for about 2 weeks. I used it every day or every other day; then I tapered off to about 2-3 times a week, as I'm not disciplined enough to remember to do it.

The 2.5 inch long one is now 2 inchs long; the other was a little smaller than a dime, now it's about the size of a pencil eraser. Both are lighter and smoother. Definite improvement! Still a long way to go before they'll be gone. If I had to guess, I'd say I have about a 30-50% improvement: reduction in both size and color. That's pretty good for 2-3 weeks, if you ask me. Too bad I'm too lazy to stick to a schedule and continue. Eventually I will and will try to post if there are any dramatic results or complete healing!

Do not put 70% on your face. It really burns and can actually cause scars on tender skin! (10/24/2007)

By luvvy

RE: Scars on My Legs

Beautiful lacy nylons look very nice, and can cover good. It's a thought. (01/27/2008)

By Mary

RE: Scars on My Legs

To camouflage my (otherwise OK) legs when wearing a skirt or dress, I wear fishnet stockings (either thigh high or waist high). They are much cooler in humid weather, look prettier (I think), come in more colors, and they tend to be way less expensive than pantyhose. I can get them for about $2 at local store. They also don't run, and have less tendency to snag, rip, and tear, so they last longer, too.

The best thing to do, I think, is to somehow learn to love your body, scars and all. Camouflage the parts you aren't thrilled with and accentuate the parts you like. For instance, I like my shoulders and will wear tops that really show off my shoulders. Take care. (01/27/2008)

By luvmygingerkids

RE: Scars on My Legs

Well, how can I start. It all began when I was 12 and started shaving my legs. Scrape after scrape, the each brown ugly scar tells a story. Scars are very annoying. Some people tried putting lemon on their scars then applying cocoa butter or aloe vera (cocoa butter recommended) then applying baby oil to lock in moisture. This really works. I was told by a dermatologist read from a Q+A website. Cocoa butter really works. Also recommend for stretch marks! (03/31/2008)

By Thalia

RE: Scars on My Legs

Tattoos, that's the answer. Glycolic acid should be used to smooth out the raised scars and fill in stretch marks, etc. Then tattoo all scars and scar areas with something meaningful to you. You will not be able to see the scars under the design, particularly detailed designs. The worse people will think is, "Oh, they're one of those tattoo people".

Besides, what's sexier, dressing like an Eskimo in the summer, or baring all your sexy tattoos? I wasn't a tattoo person either, then I gained/lost 200 lbs. Not a pretty picture. I hid my tummy tuck/stretch marks under tattoos. You really have to look to tell they're there. Try it, you'll redefine what people think of you and how you view yourself. Body art is the wave of the future. Choose your prints wisely.
(05/28/2008)

By Understanding To the Problem...

RE: Scars on My Legs

I have a lot of scars but everyone has convinced me that Sally Hanson's Airbrushed Legs spray works well, so I am gonna try it! It's only $10 at drugstores and Walmart. Good luck. For the record I am African-American, medium complexion, but they have 5 shades (light to dark) to chose from and you spray, rub to blend, and go! (06/29/2008)

By Shay

RE: Scars on My Legs

I posted on this site earlier, and I'm so relieved to know I'm not the only one with this problem. "Sigh" It's so restricting and depressing. I've started experimenting with chemical peels (glycolic acid 70%, and TCA in various strengths). I've had somewhat good results, but I did it once and left it on too long and I got burnt. I'm hoping to lighten this off with the chemical peels too, but be more careful in the future! (01/09/2009)

By Sharon

RE: Scars on My Legs

When I was younger I went to the Caribbean and came back with a lot of insect bites on my legs. I never wore shorts or dresses. It's very depressing. Then I found the creme, Bioclaire. It's a bleaching agent and it works. When I go out, I use a bronzer on my legs and it evens my skin tone. (01/21/2009)

RE: Scars on My Legs

I have had a skin disease off and on for many years, called Lichen planus. This disease leaves dark marks on my legs, arms, and torso. Luckily it has never effected my face. I have a light honey toned complexion and every mark is noticeable.

What I find affective is exfoliating. I am exfoliating every evening before and during my bath. Then I saturate my body while still wet, with a moisturizer. Over the months I have seen a noticeable difference. Like everything in life, it takes time. Also, I am a veggie, never smoked, don't drink or do drugs. Keeping a healthy life style and a positive attitude helps to speed up healing time. A B6 supplement is also good for the skin. But if you eat properly you should not need a supplement. Be patient. Nothing is ever as bad as it seems. (02/16/2009)

By Gayle

Archive: Scars on My Legs

I have long thick scars on my legs. What can I use to remove them?

Obiyeann

Feedback:

RE: Scars on My Legs

A dermatologist should be able to help you out. If money is an issue, many doctors are willing to let you make payments if you pre-arrange it. When you call the doctor's office, the receptionist should be able to tell you if the doctor will work with you on payments. (04/12/2009)

By Anonymous

RE: Scars on My Legs

If you have discoloration's and not thick scars (that are "totally" healed) you can get the skin cells to "turn-over" faster by exfoliating and new skin will eventually take it's place. I use a scrub of plain sugar and scrub with my hands or a cloth. Do this no more than once or twice a week.

If you have thick scars, the only thing you can do is wait until they turn from purple to pink, to silver and this can sometimes take several years, but sometimes you can speed up the process with products that have "Peptides" in them. Products like Stri-Vectin-SD or one of the Stri-Vectin-SD knock-offs which cost much less, about $30 for a large tube and less if you can find them on sale. (In the USA look at drug stores like Walgreen's)

The peptides really help scars by helping the skin's cells turn over quicker. The one I use is called "DermaVectin", but they come in other names as well. Just look for a name that sounds like it. They are now advertised for wrinkles, but they used to be advertised for stretch-marks and there's really nothing quite like them. You don't need to put the expensive cream everywhere, just on the scars or stretch marks only. If you use any of these products, STAY OUT OF THE SUN.

Here's the URL for StriVectin-SD:

strivectin.com,
but it cost $135 and you can find a $30 knock-off at some drug stores with the same ingredients, so don't waste your money on the "real" thing, buy the less expensive brand.

<p.You can also Google "Peptide Creams".

Here's one for $40 version called Q-Vectin: windsordirect.net/p-q-vectin-body-cream

Here's how they work: (I am a satisfied customer of peptide creams).

americanchronicle.com<?a>

thedermblog.com/2008/06/23/do-peptides-in-skin-care-products-work (04/12/2009)

By Cyinda

RE: Scars on My Legs

I have a huge skin graft scar from my left hip to my left knee, wraps all the way around. I lost 80% of the muscle in my thigh and broke the two bones in my calf. I was crushed between a truck and a car as a teenager. I used to hide my scar completely and I was very self conscious of it. As I age, it matters less and less. I stopped worrying about it years ago, probably around age 30. I think beauty comes from within, and I use my scar to teach children to look before crossing the street. They are so sweet, some adults just stare at it, but little ones always ask me. I get a season pass to my local water park in the summer and I wear my bathing suit 7 days a week.

The first ER surgeon to evaluate me that night wanted to just take my leg off, and I thank God every day for the younger sassy one that wanted to try to save it. It was a long road back and I'm just very fortunate that I still have two legs. The scar is a non-issue. I hope that someday yours will be too.

(04/14/2009)

By Sandy from Pittsburgh

Archive: Scars on My Legs

I'm graduating this April and I have a big problem. I suffered from an allergy and it hit my legs. Now it leaves very ugly and dark big scars. I need to wear a dress in my graduation. But how can I wear dress if I have scars? It really bothers me so much. It's less than a month before graduation. Any suggestion to help me cover my scars so I can wear a dress? And as well, any cure to these scars? Please help. Thanks a lot.

By simplegirl from Philippines

Feedback:

RE: Scars on My Legs

You can wear stockings. Beautiful lacy nylons look very nice, and can cover good. Good luck. (03/19/2010)

By kffrmw88

RE: Scars on My Legs

There is also stage makeup, that could be used. Also the graduation gowns that I have seen are quite long, and should cover most of your legs. (03/19/2010)

By redhatterb

RE: Scars on My Legs

Tights and leggings are very "in" this season. You could wear a skirt with matching leggings or there are some very pretty tights with designs woven into them. Best of luck and congratulations on your graduation! (03/19/2010)

By readingiggits

RE: Scars on My Legs

Spray on leg makeup by Sally Hansen. There is a wonderful product that you can buy at most Drug Stores for around $12 for one bottle, but it also comes in a 3 pack. It's a spray-on leg make-up made by Sally Hansen. It comes in 4 shades and is meant to be worn when swimming so it won't come off on to your clothes! Before applying this spray-on leg makeup you can first put concealer on the darker spots.

*Buy 2 bottles and do a test run before the big event so you know exactly what to do and how to apply the leg makeup to it correctly. This way, there will be no surprises!

For more information: Sally Hansen "Salon Airbrush Legs" a spray-on leg makeup:
http://www.sallyhansen.com/product.cfm?product=149

Reviews:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/217426/i_cannot_live_without_sally_hansens.html?cat=69

Since you don't live in the USA you can buy it on the web:
http://www.dealsbuzzhealth.com/product/Merchant/FR.htm

If you can't find it, e-mail or call the Sally Hansen people. If you don't have time to order it on the web you can go to any beauty supply and ask for a spray-on face makeup. But Leg make up is made to cover spider veins and scars, so it's stronger that regular spray-on face make up. It also is made not to rub off on to your clothes. You could also use a 24 hour (not spray) face make up like L'oreal Infallible. I wear this when it's really hot in the summer and no matter how much I sweat, it won't come off. If you use L'oreal Infallible, be sure to first moisturize your legs before applying it. The Infallible costs $15 in US dollars if it's not on sale.

Otherwise, buy some opaque tights in a nude color. Or to camouflage your scars, buy some nylons in a sparkling-gold glitter. You would see the sparkles and not your scars. They sell these at some department stores, especially around the Christmas Holidays. They look really cool!

After your legs are totally healed, you can use a sugar-scrub to exfoliate them (as long as this doesn't irritate them). You just use plain table sugar, and about twice a week when your legs are damp in the shower, just rub the sugar back and forth all over them with the palms of your hands, then rinse off all the sugar and moisturize with an unscented body lotion. This speeds up cell turnover and will help your scars SLOWLY disappear. There is hope! I used to have very dark patches on my face from bad acne, but after several years they eventually faded and are now almost totally gone. You can also mix the sugar with a tiny bit of olive or mineral oil and exfoliate with this (the oil helps moisturize), but your shower can get slippery and dangerous, so please use care! (03/20/2010)

By Cyinda

RE: Scars on My Legs

I got to thinking early this morning, here in South Dakota you see a lot of people wearing dresses that are just right at or just slightly above the ankles. That could be a solution too, unless the dresses all have to be a certain distance from the floor. It seems like any length is in style right now. (03/20/2010)

By redhatterb

RE: Scars on My Legs

If you decide to use hose to cover your legs, consider wearing two pairs - put an opaque pair on first, then a much more sheer pair on top. If you select the hose properly, the bottom pair won't be noticeable at all, and it won't look as if you're trying to hide a thing! Also, if your dress is all or partly black, you can wear black hose, which conceal scars much better. Congratulations on your graduation! (03/21/2010)

By straightace

RE: Scars on My Legs

You might want to call your skin doctor/allergist and find out if any of the scar fading medications, such as Mederma, might help. That's available without a prescription, but I think it'd be best to know it's safe for you and if they think it CAN work. OR, maybe they'd know of something better! I also like the idea of patterned hose. If you're wearing a dressy dress you could get dressy ones, and if it's a suit/business type outfit, the geometric designs would work well. Congratulations and good luck in your future endeavors in life! (03/21/2010)

By janiebean

RE: Scars on My Legs

You are the only one who is going to be looking at your legs. This a time for celebration! No one will be looking at or talking about your legs. Relax and have fun and enjoy your graduation! People are going to be proud of you and your accomplishments, not even noticing your scars. And so what if they do? They are just scars on your legs. Think about the people who have scars or burns or are disfigured on their faces. Stop obsessing about this.

Show people your confidence. Inner beauty and character are much more important than your looks. Concentrate on your good qualities like kindness, humility, intellect. Oh, you can also make a point of giving other people compliments. Just say something nice about their hair, the tie they are wearing, anything! All of us are attracted to people who make us feel good about ourselves. Go out there and make a difference. Your scars don't define who you are as a person. Your character does! Congratulations on graduating! (03/22/2010)

By PainterLee

RE: Scars on My Legs

Try Vitamin E oil. This works well for scars. Also, panty hose or leggings would be cute to finish your outfit. I know you will look just beautiful! Congratulations on your graduation and have a wonderful "big" day! (03/22/2010)

By wsurfs

RE: Scars on My Legs

Oh my, can I relate! Back in the day when it was acceptable, the men always called me "Legs." I had beautiful legs, but a broken knee, allergies and an accident being impaled on an old rusty wire trellis left them rather scarred. Not to worry!

Great advice on the leggings, so fashionable these days. Great advice on the vitamin E. Yet, once that is taken care of. Bring everyone's eyes "UP." Do this by your hairstyle, hair adornment and makeup. Have a great bust-line or waist? Adorn that. No one will take a second look at your legs.

It 's true that we all focus on our shortcomings and think that others do also, but it is simply NOT true. Some great hair, makeup, all things "up," but the external scars will fade! Bring your sparkling personality and an "up-ness" and you will get through your graduation and the rest of your life just fine. Congratulations on your accomplishments, plural! (03/22/2010)

By tahloolabelle

RE: Scars on My Legs

You've already been given lots of good advice, but I wanted to tell you that those scars will greatly fade, and many of them completely, over time all on their own! I've had so many scars, some small and some large, and a few of them were keloid scars and almost all of them are barely noticeable now. :-)

So just cover them for now for your special occasion with makeup or stockings, or just think of them as a badge. :-) Enjoy your special day and congratulations! (03/22/2010)

By Deeli

RE: Scars on My Legs

If you can get a product called Dermablend where you are, it may work. I have veins all over my legs and I am able to wear shorts or dresses all summer. First, apply body lotion to start with a smooth finish, rub a little Dermablend on the palms of your hands and run them over your legs. And then, do a second light coat. This will prevent missing a spot and you will use less. Let it dry for about 10 minutes and lightly brush your legs with loose powder. This will set the product.

They make a Dermablend setting powder but it is expensive and I have found that any cheap dusting powder will work just as well. I have found that I can go into a swimming pool without rub-off as long as I don't rub my legs with a towel. Sometimes, I even shower with it on and make sure not to rub my legs. Good luck! (03/22/2010)

By Goldie2

Running to Make Your Legs Look Better
Making Your Legs Look Better
Health & Beauty Beauty Skin Care BodyOctober 19, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
A girl looking in the mirror and using a medicated pad to treat acne.
Preventing Acne Scars
Acne Scars
Remedies for Acne Scars
Lemon Juice for Acne Scars
Lemon Juice for Acne Scars
Running to Make Your Legs Look Better
Making Your Legs Look Better
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 2:28:13 PM on 10.0.1.32 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

AnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings