Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

Does anyone know a good way to dry freshly cut chives for future use?

By jtruscott from Duluth, MN

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Donald Weiser 1 06/22/2009 Flag

I usually chop them and put in the dehydrator you could use the oven on a low temp if you don't have one, use a baking tray and leave the oven door open a crack to let the air circulate and oven on the lowest tempurature setting you have.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Tina Siegl 26 71 06/22/2009 Flag

I get better results by freezing my chives. I wash them, shake off the excess water, then lay them on a cookie sheet for an hour or two in the freezer, and then put them in a zip-top bag in the freezer to store them. The time spent on a cookie sheet in the freezer is to sort of flash-freeze them individually so they don't freeze as a clump in the zip-top bag later. Sometimes I chop the chives before freezing and sometimes I leave them whole - I don't find one to be better than the other. I also freeze cilantro, basil, thyme, and parsley in similar ways with great results.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Candy Killion 10 408 06/23/2009 Flag

I'm with tsiegl and carlaJS--their freezers sound like mine! Just take it out as your need it; even easier to chop in its frozen state than when fresh from the garden, yet the freezer preserves that just-picked flavor.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Coreen Hart 78 376 06/23/2009 Flag

I chop mine and then spread them on a tray on the kitchen table. In about 3 days -- faster if it's hot -- they are nice and dry and I put them in a good, tight jar. I guess there are lots of ways to do this.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes