Share & Vote
Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Does anyone know a good way to dry freshly cut chives for future use?

By jtruscott from Duluth, MN

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Coreen Hart [73]06/23/2009

I chop mine and then spread them on a tray on the kitchen table. In about 3 days -- faster if it's hot -- they are nice and dry and I put them in a good, tight jar. I guess there are lots of ways to do this.

By Candy Killion [8]06/23/2009

I'm with tsiegl and carlaJS--their freezers sound like mine! Just take it out as your need it; even easier to chop in its frozen state than when fresh from the garden, yet the freezer preserves that just-picked flavor.

By Tina Siegl [26]06/22/2009

I get better results by freezing my chives. I wash them, shake off the excess water, then lay them on a cookie sheet for an hour or two in the freezer, and then put them in a zip-top bag in the freezer to store them. The time spent on a cookie sheet in the freezer is to sort of flash-freeze them individually so they don't freeze as a clump in the zip-top bag later. Sometimes I chop the chives before freezing and sometimes I leave them whole - I don't find one to be better than the other. I also freeze cilantro, basil, thyme, and parsley in similar ways with great results.

By Donald Weiser06/22/2009

I usually chop them and put in the dehydrator you could use the oven on a low temp if you don't have one, use a baking tray and leave the oven door open a crack to let the air circulate and oven on the lowest tempurature setting you have.