Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Saturday Meal Ideas

After years of ordering out on the weekends my husband and I decided it is getting too expensive. So, to save money, we've decided to cook at home on the weekends. Does anyone have any easy, economical Saturday meal recipes?

Also, I grocery shop in Sundays so whatever ingredients I need will have to be able to survive a week until the following weekend when we would prepare it. Thanks! I always see such awesome tips on this site!

Lisa from Concord, NH

By

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Heather [25]04/15/2007

I thought "going out to eat' means: no prep, great taste/ fun food. Most of the ideas just sound like leftovers, not anything fancy or special. One day a week we have a "cheat day". We eat healthy all week and eat junk food on "cheat day" to jump start our metabolism. We usually get 2 combination platters(take out= no tip) at the local chinese restaurant for about $10.00(serves 4). You could also buy frozen foods to last the week. Examples would be chicken fingers, fish sticks, french fries or PIZZA! It just isn't saturday without the party food!

By Sherry [36]04/15/2007

If you don't have a food vacuum sealer, you might invest in one. They are not cheap but well worth it. You can buy your meat in bulk then and freeze it up for weekend meals and also freeze up leftovers. I use mine all the time.

By Lisa [4]04/13/2007

Thank you, everyone, for these great meal ideas. I was stumped before but thanks to all of your great suggestions I'm going to be heading in the right direction as far as meal planning for the weekend.

Lisa

By Janice C. [18]04/13/2007

Get a bread machine and make a loaf of nice bread on Friday night or Saturday morning. It's easy and automatic, doesn't need any watching. You can add cheese or nuts or raisins, whatever you like, to the dough and it's delicious. Fresh homemade bread makes any meal almost gourmet. And it costs only about $.50 a loaf. I got my Oster machine almost new at Goodwill for $5. It comes with a complete instruction manual.

By Elizabeth (Guest Post)04/13/2007

Taco Soup
look up the recipe on the internet.
canned corn, canned beans, canned crushed tomatoes and a packet of taco seasoning.
Most of the ingredients are in cans, with the exception ground beef or you could add canned chicken.
You can cook the ground beef ahead of time and freeze.
Add and mix all the ingredients right in the pot and then heat and serve.

By Lily [11]04/13/2007

for a casual meal that is easy and yummy you can make my chili dip. 2 cans of chili and 2 cream cheese in a crock pot or slow cooker. Get scoop type chips and go at it........ lasts for hours! for mine, i add fresh chopped tomatoes and green onions and a bottle of hot salsa too! This is soooooo delicious! Oh and put some ground beef in too if you want a meatier meal! (smile)

By (Guest Post)04/13/2007

All during the week that you cook, make extra. You are cooking it anyway so it takes no more time. Freeze the leftovers. I use a foodsaver. It keeps the food as though you cooked for the first time. You can get them for as little as 50.00 and save an enormous amount of money in less than 2 mo.
I shop and cook for 2 MRDD clients and I spend less than 200.00 and they eat off that for aprox. 3 mo. I cook a "regular" family size meal and freeze the leftovers in meal size portions for the days we have no time to cook or really don't want to.
Example: I will cook 2 meatloafs, I will serve them dinner then slice some off to make sandwiches for 2 days worth of lunches and freeze the other one for another day, Spaghetti or goulash, I cook 2lbs of the pasta & divide it up for several meals & lunches, Pork chops, chicken, bacon(BLT'S), chili,Taco meat, burgers, beans&franks, for example all can be cooked & frozen to use later. We buy flavored instant potato's(.89 to 1.00 for a box of 2 packets) & take only the time to boil H2o to make them.
Some days I will cook several meals at one time or I can do them day by day. I hope this helps you. We have days from start to finish, dinner is done in 30 min & we are out the door.

By Marta (Guest Post)04/13/2007

Leftovers Soup - save your extra veggies and meats in the freezer, then make a soup on Saturday.

Leftovers Pockets - Using crescent dough. Make two large rectangles with the dough by pinching the seams together. Add the leftover veggies, meats, and some cheese then wrap the dough to cover. If everything is chopped to the same size it will bake evenly and the cheese will melt it all together. You can brush the outside with egg or milk. Bake as directed on package.

Frozen Pizza with tomato & cuke salad.

By raewyn (Guest Post)04/12/2007

On the nights that I work I make pancakes or BLT's on crusty french sticks. In the pancakes I put bananas (can use other fruit), 2 eggs, a little almond meal for extra protein, milk, vanilla and cinnamon. I served the pancakes with ice cream and strawberries. I make enough pancakes so that the kids can use them for breakfast the next day. With the BLT's on a large platter I put the bacon, shredd lettuce, sliced tomato, sliced onion, grated cheese and chunks for canned pineapple. I slice 2 french sticks in half and then cut into pieces. THe kids then make their own sandwiches. You can used whatever you like. I also either make my own french fries or heat up some store bought fries to go with the sandwiches.

By bonnie (Guest Post)04/12/2007

i make potato cakes it is so easy and quick all you need to make are instant mash potatos made a little thicker then usual. i put green onions, garlic fresh or other wise. mix in bowl with 1egg . now roll potatoes in some flour pat into a round patty, fry in about 1/4 in butter and oil . keep heat med high. flip when you see outer edge of patty getting brown. to go with them i just make a salad.. enjoy

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.