Cleaning Love Bugs from Cars

Love bugs can destroy your cars paint finish, obscure vision and overheat your car if not clean off in a timely manner. This is a guide about cleaning love bugs from cars.

Smashed bugs on front of car
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I use The Love Bug Solution. It's a new product that is sprayed on the car. It forms a cellophane-like barrier that traps the bugs before they can damage the paint. When I arrive at my destination, the barrier turns to soap suds when you spray it with water and the love bugs and other insects simply wash away.

By Sam from Fort Pierce, FL

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How to get love bugs off your windshield. Use the sheet you put in dryer, it works great!

Source: Local new paper. Palm Beach Post Times Wednesday May 11th. edition.

By Bill from Hobe Sound, FL

I live in the New Orleans area. Across the south in the spring and fall, we are plagued with little flying insects called LOVE BUGS. They are all over your car and are the biggest mess. They have a high acidity level so if not removed promptly, they can actually take off the paint. This isn't just a quick rinse-off with a hose answer, as anyone living in these areas know.

My question is, has anyone found a good way to clean our cars to make sure the finish is protected?

Thanks,

Sandy from Kenner, LA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you spray the spots with "WD-40" and let them sit and ahen mix "Windex" and dish washing liquid then scrub off with A heavy duty brush, sponge, ect. After that wash them off.

Read More Answers...

What is the best way to clean off the "lovebugs" splatter off a car windshield? Please help, mine is covered and gross!

By John from Dade City, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My partner and I have created a w car wash soap called Tropical Ease that is the best! bug remover on the market. We are really new and just getting started but I'd love to send someone a sample if they have a tough case of bugs just e mail me at Jason_tassinari AT yahoo.com

Thanks, Jason

Read More Answers...

Living in Louisiana we have many, many interesting insects. One of which is called a love bug. There is nothing loving about a love bug! They are extremely irritating, swarming around like a black cloud twice a year.

These love bugs are extremely bad for your paint job on your vehicle. The easiest way to clean love bugs off your grill, hood, windshield, or any other part of your vehicle is a dryer sheet. That's right, it doesn't even have to be an expensive one. You can even use an old one out of your dryer. Just wet it, wring it out, and start wiping down your car. This also works for any other little pesky bug that decides to fly into your automobile while you're driving down the road.

So head to the dollar store for a cheap box or just recycle from your dryer, either way, dryer sheets could just save your paint job!

Source: Mrs. Patty Daigle

By Mistie from Baton Rouge, LA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What is the easiest way to remove love bugs from my automobile?

Pat from Collins, MS

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try a used fabric softener sheet. Its texture is perfect for removing the bugs and will not scratch your cars finish. To help keep the bugs off of your car, you can spray Pam cooking spray, or WD-40 on the front of your car. Just a light spray and keep them cleaned away with the dryer sheet.

Hope this helps.

Tina

Read More Answers...

Is there any way to get rid of lovebugs from your yard, every year they just about drive me nutty. Please, if you have any suggestions, let me know.

cj

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Oh, one more. Those MagicErasers do a very good job getting those bugs off as well.

Read More Answers...

cj

Getting Rid of Love Bugs

Hi cj,
Here's a link about them with the an environmental group in Florida. It says that they are not harmful to your garden, just pesky.

www.floridaenvironment.com/programs/fe00508.htm

Good luck with them,
Susan
(07/29/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Getting Rid of Love Bugs on Your Cars!

Getting them out of your yard is impossible. However, getting them off the front of your car is a must! They are acidic and will eat through paint quickly.

In Florida, we typically see them in April and September. I always get them off of my cars right when we get home. Using Windex and a bug scrubber will get the job done...

Jim (08/25/2005)

By smartfell-r

Getting Rid of Love Bugs

Cj
Here in Texas the lovebugs are an extreme annoyance. I'm still unaware of a way to actually get rid of the bugs themselves. But, by getting a warm glass of water and adding soap to it and then throwing it around the vast majority of the lovebugs- it will damage their wings and keep them from flying, leading them to die. This does leave a large pile of insects around wherever you took this action. But it helps for a few hours. Good Luck! (09/16/2005)

By Mechelle

Getting Rid of Love Bugs

I have heard to remove love bugs from your car use bounce fabric softner. Just take the cloth softner and wipe over the windshield or where ever you need.
Also i have "heard" by placing a bucket of pine-sol in your yard it will draw them away from your house. (09/23/2005)

by Kaneese

Getting Rid of Love Bugs

We found that any mosquito repellent will actually kill the love bugs. However if you have a problem with them, there are millions more! (09/10/2006)

By Amanda

Getting Rid of Love Bugs

Just attended a Board of Directors meeting in Montgomery Alabama and the big topic was Love Bugs. Have not tried it but, 3 individuals spray the front of their auto and side mirrors with cooking spray and said that it makes removal very easy with a water hose. I think I will try it. I have looked on the web but have not found anything but a liquid bug shield that was recommended, so I imagine the cooking spray may work the same way. Would love to hear from anyone with a solution. (09/19/2006)

By Henry

Getting Rid of Love Bugs

Dish washing detergent and water in a pail on my patio gets them fast!
(09/19/2006)

By Billy

Getting Rid of Love Bugs

We use dryer sheets that are made wet on our car and windshield and they dissolve and come right off. (10/02/2006)

By Diane S.

Getting Rid of Love Bugs

I have found that if you want to get rid of love bugs in an outside area such as a deck or porch you can use tiki torches. Make sure you purchase the fluid that has mosquito repellent in it. I know Home Depot carries the torches and fluid.
This might look funny having these torches lit in the day but it sure does work.
(05/15/2007)

By seo101

Getting Rid of Love Bugs

For the car, I have found that rubbing Johnson's Baby Oil on the front of your car works magic. They will then spray off with a hose if done right away. I have used this trick on my last 3 cars and there is no damage to paint.

For the yard, they are a real nuisance on my pool deck which is white. They seem to be attracted to white and I have tried everything. Someone mentioned air movement. For some reason, movement of the fan overhead, along with 4 or 5 mosquito repellent candles in the large buckets, (Home Depot) work best. Just keep them lit all day and night while you are home, of course. I was gone for one day with no fan nor candles and when I returned, I literally can say there were MILLIONS on my back porch/patio....dead.

I am headed out now to try the Pine-sol in the bucket with water for the yard.

By the way, I live in Central Florida and they are the worst ever! (05/17/2007)

By totts2u

Getting Rid of Love Bugs

I just sprayed a plant bed in front of the house where they were the worst with dish soap and water solution through the pressure washer. I noticed that there were many in the mulch moving around but not flying yet. it's worth a shot. (05/28/2007)

By Brian

Getting Rid of Love Bugs

Use baby shampoo or WD 40
for your yard use this stuff that sprays with the hose by Orkin it's used to kill pests and bugs..it's relatively cheap. Good Luck (05/29/2007)

By Josh.

Getting Rid of Love Bugs

I just use Dawn dish soap and water in a bucket and spray the foam with a hose and the bugs and babies are dead. (08/04/2007)

By Debi.

Getting Rid of Love Bugs

I too have observed that they are attracted to white. I have tried several sprays and candles. It seems to work. There are hundreds of dead lovebugs on my front porch. I sweep them up and the next morning I see a hundred more. I've been seeing them barely hovering over my lawn. I'm going to try to see if maybe I can get rid of them through a lawn treatment. (10/13/2007)

By D.Pyle

Bad Solutions for Getting Rid of Love Bugs

Used Pam cooking oil on front of the car and motorcoach, wrong move. I went from Lakeland Florida to Key West, took three days to get the cooking oil off everything along with lovebugs, dirt and sand. I had to used Greased Lightning and many rags that I had to throw away. Cooking oil blew back to the middle of the car and a third of the way back on the coach. Hope this saves you some trouble. Good Luck, Bill (05/04/2008)

By Bill

Getting Rid of Love Bugs

www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page1757.html

This website has plenty of products that may help with the problem. (09/07/2008)

By Olga

Getting Rid of Love Bugs

I used a Black Flap fogger this afternoon and had zero effect on the invincible love bug. They seem to die easily enough on their own but I can not find anything to speed the process. (09/14/2008)

By Bill A

Getting Rid of Love Bugs

Lovebugs are attracted to white or light colors. There is nothing that will kill them. They only live 2-3 days anyways. But a bucket of water may hinder the pests. Cooking spray does work I use this every year. Flights occur twice each year, first in late spring, then again in late summer, usually April-May and then again August-September. And generally last 4-5 weeks each occurrence. During other months, they live in the grass. The best remedy to getting them off your car would be dryer sheets. (09/16/2008)

By Melissa From Alabama

Getting Rid of Love Bugs

I live in south Mississippi and the Love Bugs are horrible. My house is light tan and white. They are in clusters on my house in parts. I spray bug spray and they fall, some start swarming. The ones that are located toward the top I can not get to. I love messing with my flowers in the yard, but thanks to the love bugs I stay inside. (09/18/2008)

By pat

Getting Rid of Love Bugs

These little creatures are driving me nuts!
I have to fight to get in my front door. I've tried fly spray, spraying down with the water hose and nothing seem to kill these little things. Please help (09/21/2008)

By Step

Sure-Fire, Non-Toxic Way To Kill Love Bugs On Contact

Over the years, I've had many run ins with these horrible bugs. They swarm all over the back of the house and cluster on the deck, the back door, everything! Yuck! Of all people,my bug guy gave me the remedy to get rid of them. It's non-toxic and non-chemical. It sits by your kitchen sink. Dish washing detergent. That's right folks - plain simple Joy or Dawn or any brand you want to use.

At first, I thought the bug guy was nuts, but I was willing to try anything, so I bought a spray bottle attachment for my hose and filled it with detergent (I used Joy, but I've tried other brands and they all work). Then I hosed down as much of the back yard as I could. Unbelievably, it killed the annoying little icky creatures on contact! I kid you not. I keep a spray bottle on my back deck and when I spot a few, I immediately zap them.

Apparently, the soap coats the bugs and smothers them or something. However, it does the job, it gets rid of the annoying little pests. Good luck and happy spraying! (10/30/2008)

By Monty

Getting Rid of Love Bugs

To get them off my car I use LoveBug Wipes and LoveBug Cleaner. Stuff works great, only $6 bucks. Found it at a gas station in Gainesville, but they have a website. www.lovebugcleaner.com (04/19/2009)

By ebk1967

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Are those lovebug guts on your car driving you insane? Well, don't let them ruin your paint. Use a fabric softener to wipe them off your car. They're easy and cheap to use.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Consumer Advice Cars Cleaning OutsideDecember 8, 2011
A dog standing on a driveway.
Training a Dog Not to Chase Cars
cork love bugs
Cork Love Bugs
car gear parts in carton box
Saving Money on Parts for Old Cars
Removing Bugs from Your Car
Removing Bugs from Your Car
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 30, 2016 at 6:10:28 PM on 10.0.2.188 in 423 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.