Cough Remedy Using Brandy

I am looking for a natural cough remedy using brandy. I've been pretty much using it mixed with water. It's the only relief I have found yet. Could anyone suggest other ingredients to add to this mixture? I've had this cough for a week and as soon as I lie down the coughing begins. The brandy works for about 4 hours and then it begins again.

Cindie from South Carolina

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Melissa (Guest Post) 02/28/2005

My dad used to mix it with a little bit of honey and lemon. I am not sure what the ratio is. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Suzanne Spencer 8 136 02/28/2005

In my family we make this remedy, we call it a Hotty Toddy. Heat up about 4 ounces of brandy as warm as you can drink it. Add 2 teaspoons honey, 1 teaspoon lemon juice and either spearmint or peppermint (1 sprig) or if you only have essential oils 1-2 drops. If it's a real nasty cough add a pinch of cayenne or chili powder.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Ela (Guest Post) 02/28/2005

Why don't you infuse the brandy with some horehound? That's what I use ...

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By syd (Guest Post) 02/28/2005

Add a little honey to it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By dgrams (Guest Post) 02/28/2005

http://www.drinkstreet.com/searchre ... ?drinkid=1063&drinkname=category:12

Try this for hot toddy mix. There are people that swear by this... Good luck. I love it as my grammy use to make it with orange juice.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By wen1 (Guest Post) 02/28/2005

My Mom used to give my brother whiskey, honey, and lemon juice, ( i'm sure brandy would be the same) and the ratio is easy, just three equal parts..and the dose would be about the same as regular cough medicine...I'm sure this would help..my brother had asthma very bad when he was young and he would get the nasty croop coughing and the mixture seemed to work great for him..get well soon Wen

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Jo Bodey 1 234 03/01/2005

If you are only coughing when you lie down at night, and especially if you are older you should seek medical advice.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Sunny (Guest Post) 06/25/2007

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Christina Cornette (Guest Post) 11/27/2007

Put some honey & lemon juice in it. Also, you can crush up peppermint candy & put it in there as well.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Mary 1 1 04/28/2009

Hi, do you use this for children? I have a 2 year old daughter with a nasty cough. Would this be used for her? Thanks, Mary.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No