Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Kennel Cough Home Remedies

What can be done for kennel cough?

By Ruby

By Myrna [13]09/18/2010

Please click on this link as it's very thorough regarding kennel cough in young to senior dogs.

http://dogs.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Home_Treatment_for_Kennel_Cough

By NEWFIEGIRL [8]09/18/2010

Your veterinarian will include kennel cough with your annual c5 vaccination no registered boarding kennel will accept an animal without sighting this current certificate, hope this helps you.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Kennel Cough Home Remedies

I am looking for Kennel Cough home remedies.

Trinity from CA

RE: Kennel Cough Home Remedies

Don't cheap out on this...just take them to the vet before it gets really serious, its very contagious. There is also a vaccination that costs about 10 bucks a year that you should consider as well.

By KaylasMimi

RE: Kennel Cough Home Remedies

if you have a tractor supply company anywhere near you then they will have kennel cough medicine for any size dog.

By Boomer_Squirt

Archive: Kennel Cough Home Remedies

I just brought a new dog home from the pound I believe he has kennel cough. He doesn't cough a whole lot but sure has a runny nose. Here is my problem: I have other dogs that have been vaccinated but I still want a preventative. I also have a litter of puppies from a foster that I am scared will catch it because they are only 3 weeks old. I was wondering if I can give him a penicillin shot that is human grade. I take them myself when I get sick. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rachael from Phoenix

RE: Kennel Cough Home Remedies

I would not treat kennel cough at home. You are playing with fire. Please take your dog to a vet before it is too late. Jennifer from Northern Virginia (07/24/2007)

By ILuvDobes

RE: Kennel Cough Home Remedies

People, kennel cough is NOT that bad! It is the doggy flu so to speak. You can vaccinate, but like a flu shot your, pooch can still get it. Our vaccination only covers 5-6 of the 11 types out there. It can be treated at home, unless your dog is too old, young, or has a serious illness, then seek a vet. It should clear with in a week or two. (11/06/2007)

By Shpadonka

RE: Kennel Cough Home Remedies

I was told to use 3% hydrogen peroxide. Mix it into your pets water or even milk and it should be fine in a couple of days. For larger dogs use a cap full, and for smaller ones 2 to 3 drops.

(03/09/2008)

By Sam

RE: Kennel Cough Home Remedies

Kennel cough CAN be very bad if it is let go for so long. Although if it is treated early enough I think it can be treated at home. I am trying the H2O2(hydrogen peroxide) method on a Shorkie with kennel cough I just adopted from a shelter. So far it is working quite well. (10/11/2008)

By Lexie

RE: Kennel Cough Home Remedies

Kennel cough is easily treated with an organic herbal remedy called Kennel-Koff. We used it on one of our rescues and it took away his cough within 48 hours. You can buy it online or at a retail store. It did the trick for our rescue! (01/08/2009)

By Happy Pets

Archive: Kennel Cough Home Remedies

Does anyone know a way to get rid of kennel cough? My Boxer took off about two weeks ago and the Humane Society picked him up. They charged us an unreasonable amount to get him back. We understood that part, but now the 7 puppies and the female have what we found out was kennel cough.

We ended up taking the male to the vet to find out what was wrong with him, but this was before we found out every other dog we have now has it also.

We cannot afford the treatment for all the dogs, and don't know what to do. I really don't understand how the Human society cannot tell someone for the dog's sake that he has been around many other dogs that have this issue.

Our vet told us this was not the only dog that has come from that place with the same issue. Anyway I am not going to go on about that, I just need to know how to get rid of this horrible issue. The dogs look to be in pain with this horrible cough. Please help.

Amanda from Union

RE: Kennel Cough Home Remedies

I work for an animal rescue and as posted below please take dog to vet to be treated. Yearly Bordatella shot prevents it especially if you take in foster dogs on a regular basis. (03/18/2009)

By Cosy

RE: Kennel Cough Home Remedies

Also, normally vets have that credit card that you can apply for that is 90 days same as cash or charged a low interest rate percentage after that - ask your vet about it. (03/18/2009)

By Cosy

RE: Kennel Cough Home Remedies

If your vet has confirmed one pet has it, he should be more than willing to supply you with meds for the others or mine is if it's something as simple as kennel cough. Have you asked for a quantity discount? (03/19/2009)

By dinkly

RE: Kennel Cough Home Remedies

My adopted dog had it at 8 weeks old and our vet gave us a RX for a cough pill with hydrocodone, just like humans. I filled it at Walgreens under his first name and my last name. Do not bring the dog home without medication, older and other pets will catch it, too. (03/19/2009)

By Dozersmom

RE: Kennel Cough Home Remedies

A teaspoonful of "runny" honey x 3 times per day, not only does it soothe, but it is antiseptic as well. We found it worked better than anything else (including what the vet gave us) and over a short period of time, did no significant harm to the teeth. (03/20/2009)

By skinnyjinny

Archive: Kennel Cough Home Remedies

Does anyone have a remedy for kennel cough? We can not afford to keep running to the vet. Our dog has had all his shots 3 weeks ago. After this date we took him to a kennel for a weekend, and now we have a problem. He sees to have picked up something from one of the the dogs there.

By the way he did have his shots last year as well. He has also been to the vet recently and may have been exposed to a dog that had not been inoculated.

Anyway, can someone give us a tip of some sort? Hopefully save us a vet bill. Thanks in advance for your support.

Agie

By poopsy from 0ntario, Canada

RE: Kennel Cough Home Remedies

It is a little late for this now, but if you can still find some green black walnut hulls put them in your dog's water otherwise you can buy green, black walnut tincture online, just be sure it is green. Give your dog 10 drops twice a day, if he is pretty bad I would suggest taking him to the vet, otherwise google Wolf Creek Ranch they have a lot of great herbal animal remedies.

Have your dog vaccinated specifically for kennel cough. The vaccine for it is very inexpensive. Most Farm stores sell a lot of things for dogs like tapeworm medicine, kennel cough treatments, etc, that are cheaper than the vet, but usually not in the concentration that you would get from the vet. Hope this helps. (11/09/2009)

By tigra

Archive: Kennel Cough Home Remedies

What can I do for kennel cough till I can get to a vet on Monday?