HealthPets

Treating a Dog for Pain

What can I give a dog for pain? Can a dog take any people meds like Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen?

By Fucryinoutloud from OK

Your best bet is to talk to your veterinarian. Dogs can be very sensitive to human meds. In addition, what might work for your dog may not work on mine or another dog mostly based on breed/weight.

Your veterinarian knows your dog's health - I should hope - and the internet is not a substitute for caring for you or your animal's health.

FWIW, "Do not use aspirin products that contain other ingredients such as caffeine, codeine, or acetaminophen. These drugs can kill animals."

I wouldn't even give your pup aspirin until you consult with your vet.

This is the best online site I have found for pet health but just like any site, use caution and consult the vet with the degree:

http://www.peteducation.com/

I've given my dogs low dose aspirin. You have to research the pounds of your dog to the amount of aspirin you can give.

I give my dog Benadryl (bought on line $5.00 for 100 pills - PetMeds.com) to sedate him on trips (he throws up in the car). I wonder if this would help your dog? Please mention to your vet.

My friend's vet has her give her dogs (around 85 pounds) Ecotrin. It's aspirin with a coating on it so it's not harsh on the stomach.

My best recollection is that anything over the counter EXCEPT aspirin, is a big NO NO. Very toxic, and sometimes deadly. Depending on the size of your dog, as lorianna said, you could use small amounts of aspirin, if it is totally out of the question to go to the Vet. I would certainly go to the Vet as a first choice. Our pets are just too much a part of our family to not take good care of them. If this is a chronic thing, there may be something that needs to be dealt with long term, and a Vet would know best.

My son works with injured animals. He says they give them liquid baby Advil, adjust dose as per weight.

Call your vet.

Why is your pet in pain? Treat the source of the pain-and that means going to the vet first. If he has arthritis there are dietary supplements that may help, as will making sure he is not overweight.

Linda had a great answer.

thinking of giving a drug (OTC or by a vet) is short term and may be harmful in the long run. The better approach is to begin now to work with an integrative veterinarian. This is a person trained in many different approaches, including using conventional drugs only when absolutely needed. Working with one can increase the chance that your cherished companion can live a long and healthy life after recovering from this current problem. that is one of the joys of holistic approaches - they can cure the pain so you never need to continue treatment. I could not do that when I merely had drugs to use. There are good ones and great ones, and a few homeopathic veterinarians will consult by phone or email. You can go to the web sites for each type of holistic practice and use their referral list to find one near to you. Many practitioners are members of only one or two of the organizations, so you do need to go to every site to find who is near you:

1. Wide range of treatments: www.AHVMA.org, American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association and www.civtedu.org.

2. Homeopathic veterinarians (these can often help you by phone if no other holistic practitioners are nearby that you like): www.theAVH.org and www.DrPitcairn.com;

3. Chiropractic and Osteopathic - www.animalchiropractic.org; http://equineosteopathy.org/ (they treat dogs, too)

4. TCVM (Acupuncture and Chinese medicine): www.IVAS.org, www.aava.org & www.TCVM.com

5. Herbal - www.VBMA.org

6. Postural rehabilitation  dogs and horses -http://www.post  Practitioner.htm

7. Craniosacral and Bowen - http://www.anim  tionnetwork.com/ not all are vets, so also look for this modality at the AHVMA web site.

There are also many 100% safe ways to relieve pain that you can do at home (just not quite as reliable as an integrative vet).

Reiki, Tellington T Touch, Flower Essences, Essential oils, Massage, healing touch for animals and acupressure.

Pets HealthAugust 11, 2009
little girl frowning and holding her ear
Home Remedies for Earache Pain
Relieving Pain from Bone Spurs
Relieving Pain from Bone Spurs
Using acupressure on a foot.
Using Acupressure for Foot Pain
Treating the Soil After Tomato Blight
Treating Soil After Tomato Blight
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2017 at 10:11:01 AM on 10.0.0.198 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.