Treating a Dog for Pain

What can I give a dog for pain? Can a dog take any people meds like Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen?

By Fucryinoutloud from OK

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Your best bet is to talk to your veterinarian. Dogs can be very sensitive to human meds. In addition, what might work for your dog may not work on mine or another dog mostly based on breed/weight.

Your veterinarian knows your dog's health - I should hope - and the internet is not a substitute for caring for you or your animal's health.

FWIW, "Do not use aspirin products that contain other ingredients such as caffeine, codeine, or acetaminophen. These drugs can kill animals."

I wouldn't even give your pup aspirin until you consult with your vet.

This is the best online site I have found for pet health but just like any site, use caution and consult the vet with the degree:

http://www.peteducation.com/

I've given my dogs low dose aspirin. You have to research the pounds of your dog to the amount of aspirin you can give.

I give my dog Benadryl (bought on line $5.00 for 100 pills - PetMeds.com) to sedate him on trips (he throws up in the car). I wonder if this would help your dog? Please mention to your vet.

My friend's vet has her give her dogs (around 85 pounds) Ecotrin. It's aspirin with a coating on it so it's not harsh on the stomach.

My best recollection is that anything over the counter EXCEPT aspirin, is a big NO NO. Very toxic, and sometimes deadly. Depending on the size of your dog, as lorianna said, you could use small amounts of aspirin, if it is totally out of the question to go to the Vet. I would certainly go to the Vet as a first choice. Our pets are just too much a part of our family to not take good care of them. If this is a chronic thing, there may be something that needs to be dealt with long term, and a Vet would know best.

My son works with injured animals. He says they give them liquid baby Advil, adjust dose as per weight.

Call your vet.

Why is your pet in pain? Treat the source of the pain-and that means going to the vet first. If he has arthritis there are dietary supplements that may help, as will making sure he is not overweight.

Pets HealthAugust 11, 2009
little girl frowning and holding her ear
Home Remedies for Earache Pain
Relieving Pain from Bone Spurs
Relieving Pain from Bone Spurs
Using acupressure on a foot.
Using Acupressure for Foot Pain
Treating the Soil After Tomato Blight
Treating Soil After Tomato Blight
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 7:52:32 AM on 10.0.0.148 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.