Tips To Avoid Wrapping Paper Waste

My family thinks I am crazy when it comes to wrapping paper. One of my biggest pet peeves is when they cut out a small section and toss the roll back into the bin. then the remaining "tail" gets snagged and ripped and it ends up getting cut off anyway and thrown away; or worse, ends up tearing more paper and wasting more than they used in the first place. I have gotten them in the habit of measuring the package, cutting off the whole width of paper and then cutting the length that they need.

I buy wrapping paper on sale, so there are a lot of patterns in the bin at a time. Once the paper roll has been opened, I loosen the paper on the roll by twisting the paper backwards and pull the tube out. then I wind the remaining paper tighter by holding the paper on the inside with one finger and rolling the paper back until it is slightly smaller than the tube. I insert the paper into the tube and roll the paper back the opposite way to make it tight to the tube. I roll the scraps and place them inside the tube as well.

I use a small scrap to cover the bottom end because I store my paper in a vertical organizer . I write on the outside of the tube at the top what the paper is "kids b-day", "over the hill", "wedding", "baby", etc.

Now if there is a small package, everyone knows to check the inside of the rolls and it may save them time if there is a small piece they can use already waiting.

Source: My own frugal mind

By jwheeler from Stockton, IA

Cut the legs off old nylons and put a roll of wrapping paper in - neat and easy! :)