Browsing: Keeping Slugs Off Hostas

Use Coffee Grounds to Deter Slugs from Hosta

To protect your hostas, especially those growing in pots, cover the soil with used coffee grounds. Not a slug in sight!

By Ruth from Cardiff, UK

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Thanks! This warrents a trip to Starbucks... I'll let you know if I have success!

I was pleasantly surprised! I was saving eggshells to crush and put around my many hostas. In the meantime, I started putting used coffee grounds around them. It turned out that I didn't have to use the eggshells at all for the hostas, because the coffee grounds got rid of the slugs. No more holes or chewed up leaves on my hostas! I ended up just using the eggshells in my vegetable garden. :)

I've been saving all my coffee grounds and use them all around my hostas. After the beer trick didn't do the job as well as I wanted it to I decided to try the coffee grounds. It seems to help but this year I also took my left over coffee, put it in a spray bottle and sprayed my hostas with coffee....da-da...that helped a lot. It also got rid of aphids on my mini roses!

Keeping Slugs Off Hostas
Keeping Slugs Off Hostas
Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlJuly 24, 2008
ground coffee
Uses for Coffee Grounds
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
Coffee Beans
Cleaning With Coffee
ground coffee
Using Coffee Grounds in the Garden
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 23, 2016 at 10:46:42 PM on 10.0.0.107 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.