Poll: Do you eat ground beef?

Today's poll asks: Do you eat ground beef?

Feel free to post feedback about this poll in the forum below.

SOMEDAYS I FEEL THAT'S ALL WE EVER EAT.HAMBURGER IS STILL AMONG ONE OF THE CHEAPEST MEATS TO EAT.

Years ago, I started using a combination of beans, rice and cheese as a total protein substitute. Using lots of different spices and flavorings makes this less boring than same old, hamburgs, chili mac, meatloaf routine.

However, I do eat my meat, usually this way:

Buy a very large roast beef of chuck or round. Slice off some 1/2 in pieces for quick steaks, braise a good chuck for a pot roast, cut some up in 1" pieces for stew and soup, and grind up some for ground beef dishes.

It took a while to save up to get the big roast and longer to accumulate tools to do all this...but it turns out to be very frugal. And more nutritious too since, the roasts I get are not fat sirloins etc, but leaner cuts. Couldn't do this so much when I had to live someplace with only a tiny old freezer in the fridge.

I usually extend everyday hamburgers, meatballs and meatloafs made from the ground beef. With eggs, dried milk, chopped veggies, different kinds of grated cheese. And of course sometimes just want a good old plain meat burger.

Also, a little bit of meat goes a long way in cabbage rolls, stuffed bell peppers, chili with beans poured over mashed potatoes. Get that meat taste with the necessary veggies.

When my children were young, I also tried to fool them by having my grocery store butcher grind up what were then less costly meats like beef liver, brains, etc, as about 25 % of the beef. It worked until they were teen agers, and I liked the idea of giving them more varieties of parts than they would ever eat otherwise. NOw they do the same for their own children. LOL

This is my youngest grandchild who eats that yummy doctored ground beef.

I never eat ground beef. It's too fatty, and thus shrinks when cooked, so what's the point?

Ground sirloin or prime ground chuck are far superior in taste and texture, and much lower in fat, so little shrinkage, more per dollar when cooked.

Look also at portion sizes you serve, which are usually too large. That's how you save.