Replacing Louvers on Shutters

I intend to replace the louvers from my interior shutters with fabric inserts. I will staple-gun the fabric to cover the opening but need ideas for covering the staples.


By Robin from Durango, CO

July 1, 20100 found this helpful

I once recovered a stool and used braid to hide the staples. You'll get it from the soft furnishing department in store. You can tap in small pins between the threads of the braid to hold in place, alternatively use glue.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
July 1, 20100 found this helpful

A hobby/sewing store will have lots of trims to choose from. The one usually used on furniture is called "gimp,", a sort of braid. It might be too wide or thick for your purpose, so look for a flat trim in an appropriate width.

When stapling the fabric, try to get the staples in a straight line so it will be easier to cover all with one strip of trim.

I recommend wood glue, but thin brads would work if you are careful not to stretch the trim or let it buckle. Also, don't try to hammer a brad into a hidden staple!

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Window TreatmentsJune 29, 2010
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet, Plumber Replacing Bathroom Faucet
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet
Functional Window Shutters
Making Functional Window Shutters
Improving the Exterior of Your Home
Improving the Exterior of Your Home
Christmas Ideas!
Thanksgiving Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 17, 2016 at 8:21:29 PM on in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.
Loading Something Awesome!