Improving the Exterior of Your Home

Adding shutters, a new paint job, container planters and landscaping are all ways to make your house look better. This guide is about improving the exterior of your home.

Part of home maintenance is maintaining the exterior. As projects come up (and they always do), why not use the opportunity to go green?

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

I want to paint the concrete around the bottom of my house (exterior). Do I need to clean it and do I need to primer it?

By Nancy from PA

Answers

The concrete foundation should be clean and use latex paint. Does'nt need to be primed but I don't think the paint will hodl up to the outside elements very well. I would plant shrubbery arount the foundation.

Oh ya, foxrun is wright it will peel off and then you have more up keep on your home. But if you really have to paint, I used spray paint on my basement floor, holding up pretty good. Just don't put it on very thick, put on thin layers.

I don't honestly know. I am sure you need to clean it well, you do on anything you paint. Primer, I doubt it. But you need concrete paint at any rate, so contact your local paint store and ask them.

Anonymous

I've painted the concrete bottom of two homes with great success and those were both in Michigan with super cold, snowy, icy winters and super hot and humid summers which can be killer weather on paint projects. I had great success!

First power wash well, wait for it to dry out completely, wait for a week where your forecast is going to be warm and dry and then paint during that week with a good quality outdoor concrete paint. No paint, including painting assorted siding materials, will hold up forever but if you do it right you'll have a few years before needing retouching or repainting. Oh, and I did not prime other than power washing.

Mine is painted and I never primed it before hand. I used latex paint and it has been on there for 6 years with no signs of peeling or anything. I used latex paint.

I am also wanting to do my indoor floors. My hopes is to remove all the carpet, padding, scrub with a buffer, then pressure wash it, then run a duster to make sure I got it clean as clean can be, once dries apply a coat of blended mix of liquid marble like latex paint to give it the marble look. After that dries I want to add concrete sealer to finish it off. My concern is toxicity to the lungs over time as this will be on our indoor floors over the next several years. We are seniors with pets so I need to have it where I can keep clean easily. Do anyone have any ideas or concerns about my method?

Tips to help you improve the exterior of your home. Post your ideas.

Answers

Now is the time, to update the outside of your house. If painting the whole house is out of the question. You could make shutters for your windows, if you don't have any. This will really change the outside of your home's appearance. Add a few hanging pots with pretty flowers or some nice potted ferns or flowers to set on your porch or deck. You could even put some yard ornaments out on the porch, or in your yard or flower garden. Maybe a pretty birdhouse or feeder. Some lawn furniture or a pretty park bench. The possibilities are endless. Enjoy the season!

By Terri