Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Using a Pumice Stone on Porcelain Toilet Bowl

I have a porcelain toilet bowl and we have well water. I read the replies on here about pumice stones but won't they hurt the porcelain bowl? My bowl has a light stain to it. What about Bon Ami or Comet?

Matt from PA

By

By Marie [1]10/09/2009

Personally speaking, I would not use anything with chemicals in it to clean a toilet, clothing or a sink if the house is on a well system because it goes into the septic tank and will contaminate the land filtering the water as well as insects and other wildlife. Good old fashioned vinegar and baking soda work very well after it is let to sit for a while, then use a toilet bowl brush. There are many gentle cleansers that will do the trick of cleaning anything if we want to take the time to discover what they are. There are many enviromentally friendly cleansers on the market these days and many recipes online to make ourselves which saves money as well.( no pun intended :))

Sincerely
Mee

By katherine01/15/2008

bar keepers friend is better than comet and like products anyday.
if that doesn't work: pour 1/2 cup white vinegar in bowl, close top, and leave over night. flush then if still stained scrub.
also, pouring 1/2 cup white vinegar into the tank, before bed, helps to kill bacteria,mold, mildew, etc. which leaves stains

By heather, MO (Guest Post)01/13/2008

The works, I agree completely! It's at Wal-mart. That mixed w/the toilet wand scrubbers works very well.

By Shonda (Guest Post)01/11/2008

Buy a bottle of "the works" from the dollar store. We have well water that has lime in the water. Thats what has worked very well for me. Shonda from Western Ky

By Elizabeth (Guest Post)01/11/2008

Try Bar Keepers Friend (it's in the cleaning aisle by the Comet). It takes all kinds of stains off my porceain sink.

By Myrna [13]01/10/2008

I would try Lime Away or CLR first. I think pumice would scratch porcelain over time.