Finding a Collie in Southeastern Iowa

Our Collie passed away recently and we are very much wanting to find another one. She was a wonderful dog and we desperately want to find another Collie. It seems that Collies are in short supply around southeastern Iowa and I was just hoping that possibly someone out there might know where we could find one. I have looked at breeders online and the pups are VERY expensive and right now is not a good time for us to spend a load of money on a puppy because we have had to pay a very large vet bill from our Collie that died.

It would not have to be a puppy, but we would like to find one that is under 5 years of age, if possible. We are also interested in a Lhasa Apso, which also seem to be in short supply in our area. I know this is a long-shot, but if anyone knows where we could find a Collie or a Lhasa in our area, we would sure appreciate any help you can give. Washington, IA is in the southeastern corner of Iowa. Thanks.

Robin from Washington, IA

You could call the local pounds and ask about the breed you want. If they don't have anything now, they might call you if something comes in. There is a rescue program for almost every breed of dog. Here is one website I found. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/rescue.htm#L

Scroll down to the breed you want. If there is a Freecycle group in your area, you could post a "wanted" thread. You may have to do a little work and spend some time getting a purebred at the age and price you want. Happy hunting.

Hi Robin,

So sorry to hear about your lovely collie. I believe we have a picture of her somewhere on ThriftyFun. A great resource for anykind of dog is PetFinder. Here's a link of a search in your area.

http://search.petfinder.com/search/ ... eview=1&scope=2&x=14&y=9

It appears that there are a lot more mixes and border collies but if you keep looking, you will find one.

Another option there is to place an ad in their classifieds. I believe the ad is free.

Susan from ThriftyFun

I live in Cedar Rapids, IA. Not sure where you are. Try petfinder.com. About 2 months ago, we found a 1 year old yellow lab and she is great. We rescued her from a shelter in Illinois.

I would call veterinarian offices, starting with the closest ones first. They often can give you names of folks raising particular breeds of dogs. The folks who take good care of their animals will be in contact with a veterinarian at some point. Good luck on your search. We have an Australian Shepherd who was a "show up puppy". He just showed up at my daughter's home in a rural area one day and all attempts to find his owner failed. He is the smartest most gentle, loving dog we've ever known. We are so glad we adopted him when my daughter couldn't find his owner. He's 9 years old now and still running and jumping like a puppy!

Have you tried collie rescue?

robin i am so sorry for you loss. try pet finder. com

and 1800 save a pet. put that in google and it came up for me. try also contacting the rescue groups for the breed. i know they are around the us. you might get some one and get what you want.

Try www.petfinder.com

There are many collie rescues. We were able to adopt our collie five years ago from Collie Rescue of Southeastern PA. She was three years old when she came to our home. She is my third child. What a good dog. Since our adoption, I have become very involved in the collie rescue organization, as well as the various fundraisers. Rescues are just a wonderful cause.

I have tried petfinder.com and come up with nothing as well as looking for Collie rescues on the internet and cannot find anything in Iowa. I contacted a lady with Collie Club of Iowa and she put me in contact with some breeders who want an exorbitant amount for their dogs. We just want a pet. We don't care about pedigree and showmanship, etc. And we can't afford $500 for a dog! I hope someone can help.

every breed of dog has loacal branches of a rescue also call your AKC from the phone book they can hook you up too

Many farmers have collies try posting something on the bulleton board at a livestock auction.

Pets Dogs Dog BreedsNovember 4, 2006
Miami, Florida
Miami, Florida Frugal Travel Guide
Rough Collie
Rough Collie Breed Information and Photos
Girl in a red coat giving to the Salvation Army.
Iowa Christmas Charities
Border Collie
Border Collie Breed Information and Photos
🎉
🎄