Drying Couch Cushions

About a week ago we came across a free sectional sofa! After shampooing the couch and soaking the cushions with Oxt Clean it's almost like new. However, I have had the cushions out on the porch drying for about 3 days now and the "core" of the cushions are still wet. Any suggestions on how to get them to dry faster? I'm afraid that they will get mildew inside them. Can they be put in the dryer?

Any suggestions would be great!

Molly

If the porch is not heated, the cushions should be dried inside the house. There could be humidity in the porch which slows drying.

Use a hair dryer.

If it is nice weather outside & sunny i would put them out there for the day bring in at night & put back out there the next day until they are dry.Works for me.

We had the same problem once. I bought an electric knife and sliced the cushions open but not quite all the way, kind of like a hot dog bun. Then I propped the cushions open over the a/c vents in the house for a few more days and they finally dried out. Cutting them open this way did not affect being able to sit on them.

Depending on the weather conditions, lay a thin towel or something like that on your car hood to protect it, and gently place the cushions. Make sure the car is in a sunny location. Turn them occasionally. Check with the owner of the car first, since some people don't like anything placed on their car. The hood of the car gets really hot in the sun, and anything placed on it will dry fast.

I am having the same problem and nothing is working any other suggestions??

I put mine in the dryer on LOW head & check it every 15-30 minutes to be sure it wasnt melting... ;)

It was a tight sqeeze but it stayed vertical the whole time & air was able pass to both sides.

I was very careflu not to let the cushion contact the back of the dryer.

Then I flipped it every hour-ish so the other side would be closer to the heating element.

The water was forced to the edges from the constant rotation... and then it dried.

Took hours.. but it dried.

Well likely your cushions are too big for the dryer and the hood of a car will take just as long to dry, and slicing the cushion will affect the quality of the seat. I found poking a few holes in it then inserting a small straw works to help get air in the center.

A normal straw will be to small so I shaped thin cardboard straws then inserted them to allow the wind in them while they are outside. I've dried my cushions without the straws before and it took a 10 days. I've dried them with the straws and it took 4. Hope this helps.

I'm more confused than ever

Okay I think I got one. In my house we have a return vent for the air handler at floor level. I turned the fan of the air handler on and then placed the wet cushion in front of the vent. This way the air handler fan pulls air through the core of the cushion. I'm going to leave it like this for a few hours and then see if it is any lighter. Wish me luck.

My dog had an accident on 2 of my couch cushions. I took the covers off and washed them separately. I then took the cushions outside and sprayed them with the hose and put some upolstery shampoo on each and just stepped on them squishing the soap through, than I rinsed the same way. This was 6 weeks ago and they still aren't dry! They've been in the sun, by the dehumidifier, and I rotate them. I thought they had finally dried the other day and put them on the couch only to find out the bottom of the couch was soaked by morning....not sure how to get them to completely dry....I'm ready to toss the couch!

Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureMay 5, 2005
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Photo of a furniture spring isolated on white.
Repairing Couch Springs
Upholstered couch with soft cushions.
Making Couch Cushions Firmer
Couch Cushions Being Cleaning
Cleaning Cushions
🎄