AdviceFood Safety

Shelf Life of Honey in Unopened Container

How long should honey still be good if left in a unopened can? What are the signs if it's no longer safe?

By Brenda from Jackson, WY

This is excellent reading about honey and its shelf life.

http://www.bene  honey-facts.html

If it is 100% pure honey it has a indefinite shelf life. If the honey has anything else in it like high fructose corn syrup( read the ingredients ) it should have a expiration date because of additives. A lot of companies like to slip it in and still call it pure honey. Honey was found in the tombs in Egypt and still was fine. Pure honey is the best and local honey is greatest for your health. We should know I operate a bee farm and will only sell 100%raw honey because of the many health benefits and taste good too!

Anonymous

Even if the honey is in a previously opened container (of course lid on to keep from drying out) as long as the only ingredient stated is honey it will be safe, tasty and fresh far, far beyond our lifetime ;-) I actually had a PB and honey sammie a couple of days ago and I've had that previously opened store brand honey in my cabinet that was originally opened almost three years ago ;-)

Don't buy honey that is cut with anything and please buy only US honey. You don't know what is in honey from other places. Find a local bee keeper and get it from there. The Amish usually sell honey also. My son is a bee keeper and the fresh honey is so good. Do not give honey to children under two. It is suspected in SIDS deaths.

Honey lasts for a really long time. I just read somewhere that it pretty much lasts forever. I think it was an article on mothernaturenetwork.com