Thrifty Water Bottle Cozy

contest winner icon

It's been well over 90 degrees F and way too much humidity for some time now. Staying hydrated is very important for all of us. Here's a use for those orphan socks we all have. Cotton socks absorb best.

There are 2 ways to fit it to your bottle:

1. Put the bottle all the way into the sock and turn down the top to drink. Turn it back up to carry in your purse with you.
  2. Put the bottle in as far as you want and cut off the bottom to sit flat on a coaster.
  3. Tip: Fill your bottle 1/3 full of water and tilt it in the freezer, I do mine overnight. The next morning, fill the rest with cold water. It goes with me in the car. Don't forget your sock!

Sorry I can't include a photo as my camera is on the fritz but you get the idea. ; )

By Keeper from Morganton, NC

Great idea, never thought of this, when I send my daughter to school with a frozen one, thanks.

We all seem to walk around with a half-frozen water bottle all the time here in Florida, and this will work very well. If the sock is thin, use two socks.

Great idea. Thanks for sharing Keeper.

Now this is true frugality, and truly green. You use your own water bottle, keeping a lot of the disposable ones out of landfills. You use your own water, which saves quite a bit, especially over time. It's better than that impulsive purchase out of the store fridge when you realize you are parched since it will stay cold longer, being partially frozen. As for the cozy - I have some really cool socks that will make really cool, one of a kind cozies! They will keep the water cold a lot longer - and will prevent those puddles of condensation that I hate! Thank you, Sandie - you have my vote!

This is so simple that you'd think everyone would have thought we'd all be running around with socks on our water bottles. I never once thought of it. Keeper, you are a genius. Thank you so much for sharing a great solution to my rings on tables and soggy wet doilies because I was too lazy to get up and go get a coaster.

I'm taking care of my problem today, and will make several while I'm doing it since we all run around with water bottles in this miserable hot weather.

This has got to be a winner.

I really need to do this, thanks for the poke/reminder, and thumbs up! I'm going to search my sock drawer for one of those orphans before this day is out.

Making a Water Bottle Holder
Better Living Simple LivingJuly 21, 2011
Angel made from a recycled green pop bottle.
Making a Pop Bottle Angel
Baby Bottle Feeding
Bottle Feeding Your Baby
Dish Soap Bottle Dolls
Dish Soap Bottle Dolls
Pop bottle fish with colorful streamers for its tail.
Making Pop Bottle Fish