Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Toilet Scratched By a Plumber's Snake

We have metal marks left in the toilet bowl from using a snake to get rid of a clog. How can we remove those metal marks?

By Don from West Bend, WI

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By cleandatoilet04/27/2014

We recently had to have our toilet snaked by a plumber and he left horrendous metal marks all over the bowl. After trying Ajax, Soft Scrub, and elbow grease, I was thinking that we would be stuck with the marks forever. Until I found this site and decided to try Barkeepers friend, which I had never heard of before, (bought at Target) since it was so highly recommended here. It worked like magic! I sprinkled it in the toilet with water and left it for a few hours, then flushed. And all the marks were gone. I was amazed! What a great product. Thank you everyone :)

By louweez 05/23/2011

I tried the Barkeepers cleanser with 3M Scotch Brite pad and it worked!

By stjit8508/19/2010

We had a scratch in toilet by plumber`s snake, I used Barkeeper`s friend. It worked for me. Its really good. Just spend 2 minutes to clean with Scrotch brite and BKF powder. It will be magic. All the best!

By Lizzyanny [9]08/14/2010

Try Barkeepers Friend. It is a powdered cleanser. great for cleaning metal or metal marks.

By Sherri [6]08/14/2010

Hello,
Go to your supermarket and buy a pumice stone, it is made for cleaning porcelain i.e. toilets. It should be on the same aisle as other household cleaners. It comes in a small box. Good luck.

By Helmut [8]08/13/2010

Usually the metal marks are "written" onto the porcelain like chalk on a blackboard.
Watkins Toilet Bowl cleaner or hydrochloric acid cleans that off quickly. Make sure the porcelain is completely dry first. Even the tiniest bit of moisture dilutes the hydrochloric acid to impotence, since they are not allowed to ship the pure stuff any more.

Have FUN!
DearWebby

By Anonymous [848]08/13/2010

I don't know for sure but I am thinking elbow grease and a good old fashioned Brillo pad would work.

By Chuck [17]08/13/2010

Get down and dirty with Barkeepers cleanser and elbow grease. If that doesn't do it nothing will.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Toilet Scratched By a Plumber's Snake

I am looking for ideas for cleaning or repairing scratch marks left behind after snaking the toilet.

Gigi from FL

RE: Toilet Scratched By a Plumber's Snake

You could look in the yellow pages under bathtubs. There will be bathtub and sink repairs listed. It may be possible someone listed could repair the toilet. You would have to call and also get a price quote. (08/18/2006)

By Dean

You might try turning off the water, flushing the toilet and then using Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on the marks. If that doesn't work I'd try gently using a pumice stone. Good luck. (08/19/2006)

By ShellyE

The pumice stone will work fine getting the scratches off. May take a little elbow grease. Clorox Duel action toilet bowl cleaner is excellent. I let that soak the sides and then scrub with a non scratchy sponge after 15 minutes. That takes off even well water stains which are tough. You don't need to hire anyone else, it just looks scary. Pumice will not hurt the surface, although it seems like it would. (08/20/2006)

By ScotFinn

We recently had to "snake" the bathroom toilet, leaving scratch marks. We got most off with Comet, but does anyone have suggestions for the tougher scratch marks?

Teri from St Louis, MO

I'm assuming (I know that is dangerous) that the "snake" has left a gray metallic deposit on the hard glaze. Acidic cleaner will remove the metal by reduction. Metal salts are more soluble in water than the metal residue. (01/10/2007)

By Chewie

Rust Stain Magic for toilets, sinks, and clothing will also remove metal scratches miraculously from porcelain and sinks. Spray it on, wait 5 full minutes or so, rub it off, and rinse/dry. Try it. I just know it will work for you unless whatever you might have already done coated the metal stains? Good luck and God bless you. : ) (01/27/2007)

By Lynda

Brilliant advice re: pumice. It was scary to use, but it absolutely worked in removing scratches to the porcelain toilet. Wow! Thank you. (02/20/2008)

By Joey

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I recently scratched my bathroom sink and bath with my ring. I used my girlfriend's extra fine nail polishing stick and buffed up with metal polish, a perfect and invisible repair. (10/14/2008)

By Steve

I just used Soft Scrub with a magic stain eraser and it cleaned up most of the residue. I will probably go buy some Rust Stain Magic to pick up the last of it, though. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! (12/06/2008)

By Mike

My wife who is a dentist used a disposable porcelain marker that they use and it's back to new. See if you can ask your dentist to buy one. (12/24/2008)

By MrClean

I soaked my toilet bowl with Comet for two days. Some of marks left, but not all. I put Bar Keepers in for one day and now all marks have disappeared. (03/07/2009)

By Julia CK

I used pumice stone on my toilet. It scratched it. Now I have a worse ring around the toilet. (05/24/2009)

By ncgardener

I just used Cleaning Creame for Smooth Top Ranges (cleaner for glass top stove) on the plumber's snake scratches in the toilet. Worked beautifully! (09/21/2009)

By havin_aball

Several of you said the pumice bar worked with a little elbow grease. I guess I don't have the patience for the elbow grease. I had a bottle of "Metal Out" for our pool so I poured some in, let sit, and brushed with a toilet brush and magically all the scratches vanished like it never happened. Metal Out can be bought at any pool supply store. No elbow grease allowed! (08/03/2010)

By campmire