Getting a Hotel Refund

My sister is an upcoming senior. My mother took her and I on a road trip through the northeast looking at about six colleges. My mother booked some hotels online to save some money. She heard of a Super 8 that rented us a double room for two nights for forty five dollars. This Super 8 was in Williamsburg, Virginia.

Our stay was very short. We walked in and as my sister tried to take a shower she saw two roaches one was crushed and squashed against the door. The other scurried away from the bathroom. My mother took us out and demanded to get her money back. The guy offered us another room, but as people with common sense know if there's a roach in one room they can get into the others.

Since she ordered online. The clerk told her to call the company to get her money back. She has called them twice, but they just hang up on her mid-sentence. What can we do to get our money back?

By Alex N.

Did she pay with her credit card? Did you guys leave and stay in a different hotel? I've only had to pull this card once, and I was completely infuriated with the experience when I had to use it. But if you pay for something with your credit card, and the service/item isn't what you paid for, you can contact the credit card company. Explain the situation to them, and they might be able to cancel the payment.

In my case, I was ordering business cards and postcards. I had used this business two times before, using the cheap shipping method. One time I received a partial order, the other time my order was delivered late. But the cards were *really* nice. Super glossy with rounded corners (an uncommon option at the time).

So the third time I ordered, I paid extra for the 2nd day or 3rd day shipping. I hoped that this would help the order arrive complete and on time. Well, it didn't work out. There were delays. I called the first time, and was told they were fixing it and going to ship it overnight. The second time I called I told them I wanted them to cancel the order and refund all my money. They gave me some other excuse and offered something, but didn't want to do a refund.

So I told them that I'd have to call my credit card company and tell them about my experience and have the CC company cancel payment. Merchants don't want that - if they get too many, it's bad for them. They refunded my money.

She can try calling them again, starting with telling them she is going to contact the CC company if they don't refund her money, then she should follow through. Or, since they've already hung up on her twice, she could just call the CC company straight away.

Best of luck with this. We've had good experiences with Hampton Inn, so we don't check too much on them, but otherwise we look online for reviews before we make reservations. It has affected our decision more than once.

I am sure she used a credit card to book the rooms so call them and tell them you did not stay (and tell them why) and they will refund the money. The hotel is the wrong one to call. By the way I have NEVER stayed in a nice super eight. I refuse to go there.

Please do not stay at an super 8. at least in NC. They are the pitts! I would sleep in my car before a super 8. I hope she gets her money back! In fact I do not stay at any hotel that I can't see before staying there. When traveling I go and check out the hotels and then pick the one I want to stay at. I have never had a problem getting a room. We go to Myrtle Beach regular so I know the good hotels now so I can just make a reservations but any where else I get there first and check out hotels.

Per the advice always given in a travel-help column that is in our local paper: go to the website where the motel was booked and put through a request on-line.

Consumer Advice General AdviceAugust 2, 2011
4 Star Hotel
Hotel Travel Tips
Saving Money on Hotels, A lit hotel sign.
Saving Money on Hotels
Folded Towel Cat
Folded Towel Cat
Business Travel Tips, Business Woman on Laptop in Airport
Business Travel Tips
🎄
🍂