Hotel Travel Tips

Category Travel
While traveling there are things you can do to make your stay at a hotel, more comfortable and enjoyable. This is a guide about hotel travel tips.

Summer is almost here! Many people will be traveling and taking vacations. If you're like me, you always end up with the hotel room that has the gaping curtain that won't close all the way no matter what you do! Whether you just want to sleep in on your holiday, or if you are like me and drive as late as you can before you stop, a restful sleep is near impossible when outside lights creep in all night and the sun pops in as soon as it comes up, not to mention the fear of who might be peeking in at you.

I found the solution many years ago. I always carry a couple of clothespins clipped onto a pocket in my overnight bag. When I encounter a curtain that won't completely close, I simply grab the offending sections and clip them together with a clothespin, ensuring myself darkness and privacy!

And if you are like me and tend to forget everything, take your extra clothespin and clip it to the chain lock on the door, so that when you see it, you will remember to take the other one clipped to the curtain!

Source: Discovered out of desperation when my early-bird son would wake up at the crack-of-dawn every time we would travel.

By lyonpridej from OK

We recently did our annual summer driving trip. I made all of our hotel reservations through Travelocity. On our last night of the trip, the hotel we stayed at had major cleanliness issues.

During my routine check of the mattress for bed bugs, I discovered that the mattress pad was hiding not only dirt but also body hairs on the mattress. There were also used tissues caught between the mattress and the wall. I was completely disgusted and quite shocked as this was a nice hotel. In addition to this I had other complaints, such as only being provided with two towels for a family of 5 and other small issues that were just annoying.

I decided to go to the front desk and let them know my concerns. I was expecting that they would discount our room since it was late and our kids needed to get to sleep. We had already decided that we would use our own blankets and sleep on top of the bedding to avoid the mattress situation.

The staff was shocked and very apologetic. They immediately offered to discount our room only to find out that they couldn't because we had booked it through a third party. Instead they offered us additional bedding and a bunch of snacks from their little store for free. It was the best they could do, since I wasn't up for switching rooms so late at night.

What I have found is that in searching hotels on Travelocity the prices tend to be the same as when you go directly to the hotel's website. I will still likely use Travelocity (or a similar site) to find hotels for our trips, but I will book them directly with the hotel in the future. This way if we encounter a similar situation again, there can be some reasonable resolution.

My son travels a lot and one of the things he does is save the hotel shampoos, soaps, shower caps, etc. When he comes home, he brings me a huge bag of goodies that I sort through. Lately he has brought me shoe shine cloths.

At first, I could not think of anything I could do with them but then I started looking at them and realized they are will be great for polishing furniture, cleaning glass polishing fixtures, etc. These are great and some will even wash up in the washing machine! I love finding uses for things out of the ordinary.

By cookiepom from Utica

When you are traveling and stay in motels, take a cheap night light along to plug in at night. Then you can find your way to the bathroom without stubbing your toe. Also take a plug with extra holes, if you have extra things to charge. Some motels don't have a lot of plug ins. This works really well if you are traveling with another couple.

I go to conferences and schools yearly. The 4 cup coffee maker the hotel has will have a pre-packaged coffee and filter. I make the 4 cups of regular coffee. I take a covered pitcher or carafe with me and pour that coffee in the pitcher. I then run a coffee pot full of water through the grounds left in the coffee maker. I pour that in the pitcher. Then I make the decaf coffee that is also supplied. I do not run a pot full of water after making the decaf coffee. I pour the decaf in the pitcher with the regular coffee. My husband, sister, or whoever goes with me on these trips have plenty of coffee. We are coffee drinkers, by the way.

By Kathie

If you travel a good deal and don't trust the locks on motel room doors, bring along your own travel lock. One of these types of locks employs a piece that goes into the strike-plate hole.