Moisturizer for Dry Hair and Split Ends

Are there any natural or inexpensive remedies for split ends?

By ecoscrimper101

The only way to get rid of split ends is to trim them. Hair is basically dead at the ends--split hairs won't grow back together.

Trim them, then you can rub a small amount of olive oil onto the ends to prevent them from reoccuring. Also avoid using rubber bands or brushing your hair while it is wet.

One way to trim them off yourself is to take small strands of hair and twist. Usually the splits will pop out, then trim them off and go on to the next strand.

My hair got horribly damaged from a perm. I had a long braid down my back & decided I needed a change. Now that my hair is fried! I use Queen Helene Hair Conditioner. I use a ton of it & pack in on my hair before almost every shampoo. I try to leave it on for a minimum of 1 hour - then shampoo. It washes right out - no problem. My hair feels soft again & is more manageable. I paid less then $5.00 for a jar that worked through 5 applications (Family Dollar).

Anonymous

Take it from a retired 30 year hairstylist veteran when I tell you that mom-from-missouri's advice is good advice and that hair is indeed a dead appendage just the same as toe and fingernails are.

Being gentle overall with your hair and even a regular light conditioning each time you shampoo is the best way to avoid split ends from happening. Once there is a split end you can't repair it, it needs to be trimmed off. And you really should get them trimmed off because a split can, and more often than not, continue up the hair shaft.

Yep scissors, lol - sorry I couldn't resist that! But actually I have long hair & I cut 1/4 inch off every month to keep it healthy.