Yellow Yarrow Grew Too Tall

I have lots of Yarrow and as soon as they start blooming they all fall over. What can I do to make them stand straight?

By Settler from Springboro, OH

Anonymous

Yarrow does best on dry sites in full sun. Yarrow will grow taller if grown in partial shade or soggy soil, which makes them tend to fall over. Wind can also cause them to fall. In such cases they need to be staked and tied.

Alternatively you can support them with tomato cages but the problem is tomato cages look like tomato cages. You can get a plant support that is green and not as obvious, there are different shapes and sizes. Here is a picture of a round support.

http://www.plan  upport-ring.html

We've tied our plants using fishing line; it's inconspicuous and strong. Put up a few stakes and tie the line in a few rows across the front of the plants and that should keep them standing.

I have several colors of yarrow in my butterfly garden and I save old pantyhose and cut off one leg and use this to tie around the plant when it starts to fall over. It lasts for at least one season and the beige colors don't seem to "stick out" in the flower garden.

I have yellow Yarrow in my front yard. It has done well, but grew so high this summer that it fell over and didn't look nice at all! It is only in its 2nd year and I wondered if there is anything I can do to keep the height down, so it can hold itself up and look nice in my flower bed.

Hardiness Zone: 5b

Julie from Northeast, PA

Answers:

Yellow Yarrow Grew Too Tall

Hi Julie, I live in NE PA too. I also have that problem with my yellow Yarrow. I think its because the soil is too rich where I have it planted. Yarrow will grow in poor soil. So if you want it to be short, plant it where nutrients are depleted. I made the mistake of planting mine in amended soil. I should have left it as clay.

Warm regards from Wyoming, PA (09/19/2008)

By Carol in PA

Yellow Yarrow Grew Too Tall

Mine gets very tall too. When it starts to grow in the spring I put a tomato cage around it it works great. You might want to try this. (09/23/2008)

By Dianne