Growing Yarrow

Category Herbs
Yarrow
A common roadside plant found throughout North America, this flower is valued for its medicinal properties and for use in cosmetics. This guide is about growing yarrow.

Botanical Name:

Achillea millefolium

Life Cycle:

perennial

Planting Time:

spring

Height:

12" to 36"

Exposure:

full sun

Soil:

average to rich, well-drained soil; adaptable to poor conditions

Hardiness:

zones 3-9

Bloom Time:

summer to fall

Flower:

a variety of colors (pink, yellow and white) in a variety of shapes (flat-umbel, button or daisy)

Foliage:

green feathery foliage

Propagation:

seeds and division

Suggested Use:

beds, borders, cut flowers, slopes and hot and airy dry sites

Growing Hints:

Start with purchased plants or sow seeds indoors in early winter if you want plants to flower the first year. Deadhead flowers to prolong blooming period and divide them every 3 to 5 years in the spring or fall if they get crowded.

Interesting Facts:

Cut flowers will last longer if Yarrows are picked when about half the buds in the clusters have opened. Add them to a vase with 2 to 3 inches of water in the bottom. If you plan on drying them, don't replace the water in the vase once it's gone-the flower will dry right in the vase.

Botanical Name:

Achillea millefolium

Common names:

yarrow

Description:

A common roadside plant found throughout North America, yarrow is valued for its medicinal properties and for its use in cosmetics. Its colorful flat flower heads are 2 to 6 inches across and come in a variety of colors perfect for dried and cut flower arrangements. Yarrow's foliage is a feathery green-gray and has a pleasant aromatic smell when crushed.

Life Cycle:

perennial

Exposure:

full sun

Cultivation:

Start with purchased plants or sow seeds indoors in early winter if you want plants to flower the first year (they can take a year or two to establish themselves from seed). Plants are not picky about soil and tolerate dry conditions. Deadhead flowers to prolong blooming period and divide them every 3 to 5 years in the spring or fall if they get crowded. Propagate from seeds, by root division or from woody cuttings taken in autumn or spring. If left unchecked, yarrow can quickly become invasive.

Propagation:

division and seeds

Parts Used:

leaves and flowers

Harvesting and Storage:

Cut flowers will last longer if yarrow is picked when about half the buds in the clusters have opened. Add them to a vase with 2 to 3 inches of water in the bottom. If you plan on drying them, don't replace the water in the vase once it's gone-the flowers will dry right in the vase.

Medicinal Uses:

fevers; colds and flu; digestive aid; stops bleeding; aids in circulation; lowers blood pressure; avoid large doses when pregnant

Culinary Uses

salads

Other Uses:

beds, borders, cut flowers; wreaths; insect repellant; skin care

I have things growing in my garden and I am not sure of what they may be. Here's a picture.

Loretta from Hagersville, Ontario

some type of fern possibly...Have they ever grown flowers?

It looks to me like it may be a wild yarrow.

Looks like sword fern.

Take one to your local nursery , they should be able to identify it for you.

It is Yarrow. It spreads like crazy but does flower.

It's Yarrow and it can have yellow or white flowers. I started some in my old garden 10 years ago and it became so invasive that I tore it all out the next year. Unfortunately each year I was still pulling up yarrow in the spring. I have a new house and garden now and no yarrow.

It's wild yarrow (a weed).

There is a yarrow plant, which spreads like the weed does. Sorry I planted one, I must have 300 popping up everywhere!

Get rid of it! I accidentally planted some because they were part of a wild flower seed mix. It's horrible and it's invasive. It will take over if you let it.

I have lots of Yarrow and as soon as they start blooming they all fall over. What can I do to make them stand straight?

By Settler from Springboro, OH

Answers

Anonymous

Yarrow does best on dry sites in full sun. Yarrow will grow taller if grown in partial shade or soggy soil, which makes them tend to fall over. Wind can also cause them to fall. In such cases they need to be staked and tied.

Alternatively you can support them with tomato cages but the problem is tomato cages look like tomato cages. You can get a plant support that is green and not as obvious, there are different shapes and sizes. Here is a picture of a round support.

http://www.plan  upport-ring.html

We've tied our plants using fishing line; it's inconspicuous and strong. Put up a few stakes and tie the line in a few rows across the front of the plants and that should keep them standing.

I have several colors of yarrow in my butterfly garden and I save old pantyhose and cut off one leg and use this to tie around the plant when it starts to fall over. It lasts for at least one season and the beige colors don't seem to "stick out" in the flower garden.