Gardening: Mini Greenhouse for a Head Start

This is over one of my 4x4 foot raised beds. I have garlic planted in it, I'm hoping this will give it a head start this coming year. The bulbs normally grow only about 1-2 inches in diameter, so we'll see if I get bigger ones this year.

By Melmarr from Michigan

Mini Greenhouse For A Head Start

What kind of fabric is that? I'm thinking of trying something like that because we get at least one night of frost every month of the year. I would have to cover things up every night.

Do you plant your garlic in August? Then harvest it the next July or August? That's the way my husband does it, and we get huge garlic. Hope this helps. I think your mini-greenhouse is wonderful!

For the best crop of garlic, you plant it in the fall at least 6 weeks before the ground freezes. Usually I plant it around the first of October. I did find that once the snow started piling up the tomato cage I used started collapsing so this fall I will rig something a little stronger maybe the triangle shaped cage.

In the picture I used a heavy plastic that I got from the paint department at Aco Hardware costs about $3.00 I took the plastic off in March, here's a photo from May 2009.

I will harvest it in the next week or two, when the tops are 2/3 turning brown.

I just harvested my garlic yesterday. It is a very good crop this year, I got about 70 bulbs and they are 2 or more inches in diameter, not bad for Michigan garlic.

Photos GardenFebruary 18, 2009
Closed Mini Blinds
Reusing Mini Blinds
Plants with grow lights.
Making an Indoor Greenhouse
Cleaning mini blinds square
Cleaning Mini Blinds
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet