Check Humane Society Site for Spay/Neuter Discounts

I had two kittens that needed to be fixed, but after getting all the kitten shots I was very low on money. I checked my local Humane Society website and found out that Oregon has a Spay and Neuter Fund. There were several clinics listed that had discounted fees for dogs and cats and the site had a $10 discount coupon that I was able to print and apply to each kitten. It only ended up costing $33.00 to have my male neutered and $49 to have the female spayed - with no additional fees.

I did have to drive 1/2 an hour to one of the clinics, but $82 was far less than it would have cost to have them both done at the vet and made it far more affordable. They also had a low-income option where the procedure would have cost $10 each, had I met the income restrictions.

Hopefully other states have similar programs to help with spay/neuter costs - it's worth checking. It is so important that you get your pets spayed/neutered, not only to keep the unwanted pet population down, but for the health of your pets (it helps with behavior issues like spraying too).

By cs_jag from Hillsboro, OR

Vets can get ridiculously expensive. I used to work at a few clinics as a technician and people would leave with bills larger than my month's salary. I know here in Austin we have Emancipet, and they offer free spay and neuter on a first come first served basis, Thursday, Friday, and Saturdays. It's a great service for people with little or no income. They also offer discounted regular shots. I think most cities have something similar, just google "free spay and neuter" and the area you're in. Sometimes the humane society will hold free weekends, or extremely reduced (10-20 dollars.) On a side note, you may want to consider pet insurance. I grew up on a farm, and not to sound brutal but when you have 500+ critters to care for, you obviously can't take each one to the vet, so when I first heard of this I thought it was ridiculous. But it will come in handy. I have VPI for my cat and dog, together it costs about 20 bucks a month, but it covers a lot of things. Check it out if you have a chance.

dog wearing a cone
Low Cost Spay and Neuter Clinics
Pets AdoptingFebruary 22, 2011
Background Check
Know What Information Is In Your Background Check
A family at an animal shelter.
Services Offered at Animal Shelters
Fledgling Beige Bengalese
Breeding Society Finches
Five Pigeons
Getting Rid of Pigeons