Low Cost Spay and Neuter Clinics

Pet care can be very expensive, especially surgical procedures. This is a guide about low cost spay and neuter clinics.

I had two kittens that needed to be fixed, but after getting all the kitten shots I was very low on money. I checked my local Humane Society website and found out that Oregon has a Spay and Neuter Fund. There were several clinics listed that had discounted fees for dogs and cats and the site had a $10 discount coupon that I was able to print and apply to each kitten. It only ended up costing $33.00 to have my male neutered and $49 to have the female spayed - with no additional fees.

I did have to drive 1/2 an hour to one of the clinics, but $82 was far less than it would have cost to have them both done at the vet and made it far more affordable. They also had a low-income option where the procedure would have cost $10 each, had I met the income restrictions.

Hopefully other states have similar programs to help with spay/neuter costs - it's worth checking. It is so important that you get your pets spayed/neutered, not only to keep the unwanted pet population down, but for the health of your pets (it helps with behavior issues like spraying too).

By cs_jag from Hillsboro, OR

I'm looking to get my small male dog, 9 months old, fixed as his housebreaking has suddenly become a big problem. I'm a student and don't have much, so I need to cut costs. Do you know if a mobile spay/neuter low cost unit will be here in the Bronx New York or Yonkers, New York this summer, June, July, or August 2016? Thanks.

Answers

Contact the ASPCA for their schedule in your area.

I answered your question earlier, however, I want to address your comment about being a student and needing to cut costs. Having a pet also means having vet bills as pets require ongoing preventative medical care and emergency care as well-just like humans. You must consider certain future medical costs if you want to continue having a pet in your life, student or not.

Some years ago, I was a full time student at UC Berkeley, worked an average of 30 hours a week, and also had a small son to raise with no child or other support. I also dearly wanted a pet but decided against the possibility as I already had more than enough responsibilities and bills to pay.

You must consider the certain future medical costs in having your pet and should seriously try to save some money for regular vet costs and almost certain "just in case of" medical emergencies.

You probably did not want to read my concerns, however, animal shelters all over the world constantly find "pets" dumped at their doors as the owners did not want to or were not able to provide needed medical treatment.

I have 6 dogs, one needs to be spayed. That is Monkey. The boys are Benjamin Blue, and Shaggy. They are all small dogs. They are rescue dogs that I have taken in. Are there any organiznizations that would help me? I have managed to do 3. I need some help, please. We don't need anymore breeding.Thank You

By Sherry H

Answers

Hope you've found some help, you've done so well. Here would be Blue Cross or PDSA as a first stop but I'm guessing you're American. There must be something there, have you tried the Humane Society or Pet Guardian Angels of America?
(Yes . I've been googling) Best of luck.
Marg from England.

Be sure and ask you local Vets. They always know about local, low cost spay neuter opportunities. Well...at least the nice ones do. Try local shelters and rescue groups too. Bless you for caring for your dogs.

I have a low income, but need to get the dog that I took in that was being abused spayed.

By Catherine from Baltimore. MD

Answers

Do a google search for SNAP clinics in Maryland. Several come up with info on location, phone #s and services, cost, etc they provide. You should be able to find what you need among them.
Grandma Jan & Darla Dumpling, GSD

Unfortunately the one I used to take my furbabies to is no longer in existence, but I can tell you how I found it. You can contact your local Humane Society, SPCA, and shelters, and one or all of them will likely have suggestions for local help for you. They usually know all the insider info-the one they directed me to back then was a clinic that was funded by a lady's estate, in her will she stipulated that most of her estate be used to fund a low/no cost clinic so those in financial distress could keep and care for their sweet critters that bring them so much comfort in difficult times. They operated on a sliding fee scale, which is based on income; that is something you may want to include in your inquiry. I wish you luck and thank you for giving a sweet pet a fur-ever home.

Are there any low cost vets or clinics that do spaying in or near Luzerne County? I don't have $400.00 - $425.00 for her vet to do this. I'm not able to get any response from my local mobile unit (spay mobile). Any input will greatly appreciated.

By Lisa W. from Exeter, PA