Picking up Pine Cones

With the weather in the 50's and me with cabin fever after a month of cold weather, I was looking for something else to do to keep me active outside. I thought it would be a good time to introduce my new neighbor to my homemade bag holder and get some more pictures of how it works. I offered to help him pick up the pine cones in his yard.

We made a contest out of it to see who could fill a bag first. Of course, I won as I am an old pro at using this bag holder. He was amazed at how easy it was and how quickly we picked up all those pine cones. "Wow!" he said. After getting started, within 10 minutes we filled 2 large trash bags with cones and had his yard looking good.

To make the bag holder, all you need is a 36 inch inch aluminum rod, 4 heavy duty metal spring clamps and a vice to bend the rod with. Total weight of bag holder is less than 5 ounces. You can find the rods and clamps at Home Depot and the cost is approximately $5.00.

On August 9, 2007 Thrifty Fun posted instructions and pictures I sent in that also tells how to make this bag holder and how easy it makes the job of picking up litter.

Source: The bag holder is crafted by my husband. He came up with this idea in 2003 and to us, it's a necessity in picking up litter and keeping our 2.5 miles of roadside clean.

By Betty from NC

Pine Cone Wreath
Collecting Pine Cones for Crafts
Home and Garden Gardening Helpful HintsFebruary 18, 2010
Pine Cones
Getting Seeds From Pine Cones
A pinecone painted silver
Crafts Using Pine Cones
Making Scented Pinecones
Making Scented Pine Cones
Picking a Christmas Tree
Picking a Christmas Tree
🎉
🎄